Double Chocolate Chunk Muffins

by on July 18, 2009 · 12 comments

Hey Muggles! We’re going to Harry Potter tonight! Let me tell you, I am really looking forward to it. In fact, I’m excited about being excited because I don’t anticipate new movies like I used to and it feels good to have high hopes for something. JK Rowling has never let me down.

Given the good mood, I decided to make Fuzz chocolate muffins for breakfast. Like Harry Potter, I had really high hopes for the muffins because the recipe was from Dorie Greenspan who might be considered the JK Rowling of baking….or maybe not. Maybe that would be Maida Heatter or Flo Braker or oh, you get the point.

The muffins were good. If I’d read the Epicurious reviews before diving into the recipe, I would have known they were less-sweet than most and maybe better in that with less sugar, they’re more like muffins than just cupcakes in disguise. I did add a little extra sugar in the form of a cinnamon-sugar topping (but only a pinch), threw in some extra chocolate chips (good call), used yogurt in place of the buttermilk (why not?) and added espresso powder, but I think the essence of the original muffin is still there. I re-typed it with changes and weights, and here’s the link to the original.

chocolate-muffin

Double Chocolate Chunk Muffins

6 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 oz semi-sweet chocolate, cut
2 cups all purpose flour (270 grams) – spoon and sweep if no scale
1 tablespoon baking powder (15 ml)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda (2 ml)
1/2 tsp salt (2 ml)
1 teaspoon espresso powder (optional)
2/3 cup granulated sugar (140 grams)
1/3 cup unsweetened natural cocoa powder (28 grams)
1 ¼ cups yogurt or buttermilk (I used yogurt)
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract (5 ml)
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips or more chopped chocolate (handful)
1 teaspoon cinnamon sugar

Heat oven to 375 degrees. Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners

Melt butter and chocolate together in a microwave-safe bowl.

Mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, espresso powder, sugar and cocoa powder together in a large bowl. Make sure they’re thoroughly mixed.

Mix the buttermilk (or yogurt), egg and vanilla together in another bowl; add yogurt mixture and melted chocolate/butter mixture to the flour mixture. Stir until just until ingredients are mixed, but don’t over-mix the batter or attempt to remove lumps.

Stir in the chocolate chips. Divide batter evenly among the 12 muffin cups and sprinkle tops lightly with cinnamon sugar.

Bake on center rack for about 20 minutes. — Makes 12!

Published on July 18, 2009

Katrina July 18, 2009 at 1:17 pm

Yum. I love Garfield there ready to snatch that muffin.
My husband really wants to go see Harry Potter. Sadly, I’ve never gotten into the movies or books and have only seen most of the first movie. He’ll have to find a buddy or go by himself.
Enjoy it though, I heard it’s the best one yet.

Carole Resnick July 18, 2009 at 1:17 pm

It is very cool in Cleveland today (less than 70) so I am off to the kitchen to make these.

Patti July 18, 2009 at 1:33 pm

I thought YOU were the J.K.Rowling of baking! :)
BTW, the new HP movie? Yawn.

Emily July 18, 2009 at 2:17 pm

Wow! That is a big, beautiful muffin.

Therese B. July 18, 2009 at 2:23 pm

Oh…enjoy the Harry Potter movie! I too heard
it was very good!
I never got into the books or movie..it’s on
my to-do list. Because everyone that has
read them…JUST LOVES THEM!

Okay..back to the muffins..they look so good!!!

I made another batch of those monster cookies
with the potato chips and pretzels…those
are soooooo good. I gave some to my neighbor
and said…these are really good for PMS.
Then she just had to laugh…because she found out she was pregnant!! We had a good laugh
about that one!!

HeartofGlass July 18, 2009 at 6:36 pm

Well, I love HP but I am not as fluent in the books as some 10 year olds I know–Still, I actually saw Daniel Radcliff in Equus when it was on Broadway. Yum! But not as much yum as the muffins, though–chocolate muffins are one of my favorite things in the world, warm or cold.

Fuzz would make a good Hermione, even after her haircut.

Anna July 18, 2009 at 7:32 pm

We’re back! It was good, but of course the door is still open for the last two movies. Fuzz has a crush on Ron so I had fun watching her react to all the Ron & Hermione drama.

Mary, I will pass on the Hermione compliment.

snooky doodle July 19, 2009 at 6:57 am

this muffin looks so yummy. Wish I had one too.

Louise July 19, 2009 at 7:42 am

Where’s the link to the original? These look like a great breakfast treat. I love Harry Potter and hope to see the new movie this week. I bought the first book when it came out in paperback and after that Amazon delivered the new ones the day they were released. I’ve read the first three in Spanish (my reading level is probably only 5th grade so that works but the dictionary stays close to look up some weird words). The audio cds are terrific as they were done by a British actor who created something like a hundred different voices. I’ve always thought JK Rowling is like Robin Williams as far as “where did that stuff come from”. :-/

sherri July 19, 2009 at 7:47 am

First of all…great photo!
Secondly…YUM!

Sue July 19, 2009 at 9:03 am

I love that you come up with things I’ve never tried before. I’ve been baking a long time but I’ve never made chocolate muffins. I guess they’ve always seemed too decadent to serve for breakfast and not decadent enough to call dessert. Thanks for sharing these.
How was the movie? I wanted to go this weekend, but it didn’t work out.

AJ July 21, 2009 at 8:59 pm

My favorite part about this is Garfield! I had to say it!

I agree with the “Yawn” HP comment…where was the big battle?

Regarding the yogurt replacement, in my head I can hear the Bill Cosby bit about chocolate cake being good for breakfast because it has eggs and milk!