Total Cranberry Crunch Applesauce Muffins

by on August 12, 2009 · 9 comments

Good Morning! It’s time to start the day with some muffins. Oh wait, it’s 10:00 already. Yikes. My plan to get to before midnight and wake up earlier is not working out. Luckily muffins are for any time of the day.

total muffins

These were actually for Fuzz, whose mouth is still sore after a visit to the orthodontist on Monday. She got her tongue guard tightened, poor thing. Now she’s on Motrin and eating soft foods. I thought she’d like the muffins but she took one bite and asked me to make her some turkey sausage. But I liked the muffins, so here’s the recipe. It only makes 6, but you can halve it and make as few as three.

Total Cranberry Crunch Applesauce Muffins

2 cups Total Cranberry Cereal (3.5 oz)
1 cup white whole wheat flour (4.5 oz)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 scant teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
¼ cup granulated sugar or evaporated cane juice crystals
¾ cup unsweetened applesauce
¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ cup vegetable oil
2 egg whites, lightly beaten with a fork
1/3 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 6 muffin cups with paper liners.

Crush the cereal in a bowl. Add the flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon and mix very well. Stir in the sugar.

Mix the applesauce, vanilla, oil and egg whites in a separate bowl. Pour the applesauce mixture into the cereal mixture and stir until mixed.

Divide the batter evenly between muffin cups and sprinkle walnuts over top. Bake on center rack for 22 minutes.

Makes 6

Published on August 12, 2009

Louise August 12, 2009 at 9:46 am

Turkey sausage would go well with these. Our poultry guy has great turkey bacon too. My current favorite is his buffalo chicken sausage though I haven’t had it for breakfast yet. I’ll have to wait until there’s leftovers. Does Fuzz like hard boiled eggs for breakfast too? And some bread and butter pickles or pickled red beets. Or hummus on pita.

Anna August 12, 2009 at 9:51 am

Boiled eggs are her usual breakfast and if we have some, I’ll serve turkey sausage. I probably should have just made her a boiled egg.

Katrina August 12, 2009 at 10:28 am

The muffins look yummy. I made your recent Cranberry Walnut Oatmeal Cookies yesterday–even bigger yum! I’m going to leave a comment on that post.

AJ August 12, 2009 at 4:06 pm

It’s so great that you mention when the recipe won’t be ruined if we halve or quarter it. We love making things to nibble, but don’t want scads of sweets around that we’ll just keep eating…

Maura August 13, 2009 at 5:00 am

These look wonderful Anna! You mentioned you enjoyed them. How would you describe their taste (I enjoy your descriptions, they are always right on after I follow your recipe).

Thanks

Anna August 13, 2009 at 7:33 am

They are heavy muffins, dense, but still moist. No one will mistake them for cake because they have the kind of texture you’d expect from healthier muffins. The flavor is cinnamon-apple.

Kerstin August 13, 2009 at 10:15 am

Awww, I hope Fuzz feels better soon. The muffins look delicious and so healthy! I can’t get to bed before midnight either – sigh.

Maura August 14, 2009 at 3:22 am

Thanks Anna. Actually made these yesterday and like them a lot. Your descript os right on as usual.

Ashley August 14, 2009 at 1:10 pm

I love how moist applesauce makes baked goods. These sound great!