Granola Carrot Bread

The problem with store-bought granola is that the clumps rise to the top and the broken, crushed granola sinks to the bottom. If you eat your granola with milk or like to sprinkle it on yogurt this might not be an issue, but I eat granola by the handful and have no use for it when crushed.  Until now!

This C&H recipe makes a great carrot bread and takes care of all the “useless” crushed cereal from the bottom of the box.  Because the recipe is so simple I was able to throw together a quick loaf, but unfortunately I did it a little too quickly and forgot to add milk.  Even without the milk the bread was pretty good (just a little crumbly).

I re-wrote the directions because the original’s “dump-it-all-in” approach seemed a little sketchy…which is not to say it would have been fine. I just like mixing the dry ingredients first to make sure the baking powder is evenly distributed.

carrot granola bread

Granola Carrot Bread

1 1/2 cups whole grain flour or whole wheat flour (6.7 oz)**
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups grated carrots
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup golden brown sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 cup milk or buttermilk
1 1/2 cups granola

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9×5 inch loaf pan with flour-added cooking spray.

Mix the flour, baking powder and salt together and set aside.

In a large mixing bowl, mix together the carrots, oil, sugar, eggs, milk and granola.

Add the flour mixture to the granola mixture and stir gently until mixed. Pour mixture into greased pan and bake for 55-60 minutes. Cool in pan for 10 minutes. Turn from pan.

**I used Eagle Mills White Whole Grain

Your bread looks tasty!
    Your giveaway post asked your readers what we’re making for Thanksgiving. What are you making for Thanksgiving? Do you know yet?

2. Carol says

I’ll have to try this. I make my own granola and everyone here eats it dry with a spoon because it does not clump together much and they just like to eat it dry.Thanks! I love your blog and didn’t even know all of these baking blogs were around until this August when I was looking for a strawberry cake recipe and I found it on your site! I was just telling my Mom about it tonight and I told her I will make the caket when I visit Illinois Thanksgiving week.

3. Rina says

I recently tried a new approach for making “more clumpy” granola (without having to add extra honey or other form of sugar) and am happy to say that it worked! I placed a cookie sheet on top of the spread out granola as soon as it came out of the oven and placed a phone book on top of it. It created a thin layer of crispy “granola bar” which I broke into clumps by hand. Anna, you’ve probably already tried this, but hopefully the tip will help someone else!

What a great idea to make clumpy granola, Rina! Yummy bread, Anna, and I like someone’s idea to make French toast. When I did that a few months ago with a banana bundt cake I wasn’t loving, the Banana French toast was de-lish!

The carrot bread looks like it turned out great. Of course, it has to be good for you since it has carrots and whole wheat flour in it, right?

6. Christine says

I was looking for both a carrot bread and granola bread recipe and everything I found was NOT what I was looking for. Then I found your recipe for a combination carrots/granola bread! Perfect!!!

A million thanks!!