Granola Carrot Bread

by on November 15, 2009 · 11 comments

I like some brands of store-bought granola, but even the best ones come with a problem. The clumps rise to the top and the broken granola sinks to the bottom. If we ate our granola with milk this wouldn’t be a problem, but we eat it dry and broken up granola is not really finger food.

This C&H recipe caught my eye because I like carrot bread and it seemed like a good way to use up the last of the granola. Unfortunately, I spaced out and forgot the milk. Whoops. It still tasted good, though. Realy good. Mine was just a little crumblier than it should have been.

I re-wrote the directions because the original’s “dump-it-all-in” approach seemed a little sketchy…which is not to say it would have been fine. I just like mixing the dry ingredients first to make sure the baking powder is evenly distributed.

carrot granola bread

Granola Carrot Bread

1 1/2 cups whole grain flour or whole wheat flour (6.7 oz)**
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups grated carrots
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup golden brown sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 cup milk or buttermilk
1 1/2 cups granola

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9×5 inch loaf pan with flour-added cooking spray.

Mix the flour, baking powder and salt together and set aside.

In a large mixing bowl, mix together the carrots, oil, sugar, eggs, milk and granola.

Add the flour mixture to the granola mixture and stir gently until mixed. Pour mixture into greased pan and bake for 55-60 minutes. Cool in pan for 10 minutes. Turn from pan.

**I used Eagle Mills White Whole Grain

Published on November 15, 2009

Sue November 15, 2009 at 3:19 pm

Your bread looks tasty!
Your giveaway post asked your readers what we’re making for Thanksgiving. What are you making for Thanksgiving? Do you know yet?

marina mott November 15, 2009 at 3:23 pm

Looks delicious!1

Carol November 15, 2009 at 6:49 pm

I’ll have to try this. I make my own granola and everyone here eats it dry with a spoon because it does not clump together much and they just like to eat it dry.Thanks! I love your blog and didn’t even know all of these baking blogs were around until this August when I was looking for a strawberry cake recipe and I found it on your site! I was just telling my Mom about it tonight and I told her I will make the caket when I visit Illinois Thanksgiving week.

Fallon November 15, 2009 at 8:51 pm

I like this recipe, really simple and sounds like a great breakfast treat. I’m thinking french toast? =P

Rina November 15, 2009 at 11:01 pm

I recently tried a new approach for making “more clumpy” granola (without having to add extra honey or other form of sugar) and am happy to say that it worked! I placed a cookie sheet on top of the spread out granola as soon as it came out of the oven and placed a phone book on top of it. It created a thin layer of crispy “granola bar” which I broke into clumps by hand. Anna, you’ve probably already tried this, but hopefully the tip will help someone else!

Anna November 16, 2009 at 7:23 am

Rina, thanks! I’ve never tried doing it that way. In fact, I haven’t made granola in months.

Scorpio Woman November 16, 2009 at 8:31 am

Thanks for the recipe. I’m keeping it. It looks really yummy.

Katrina November 16, 2009 at 8:59 am

What a great idea to make clumpy granola, Rina! Yummy bread, Anna, and I like someone’s idea to make French toast. When I did that a few months ago with a banana bundt cake I wasn’t loving, the Banana French toast was de-lish!

LilSis November 16, 2009 at 11:23 pm

The carrot bread looks like it turned out great. Of course, it has to be good for you since it has carrots and whole wheat flour in it, right?

Scorpio Woman November 24, 2009 at 10:34 am
Christine August 10, 2011 at 12:23 pm

I was looking for both a carrot bread and granola bread recipe and everything I found was NOT what I was looking for. Then I found your recipe for a combination carrots/granola bread! Perfect!!!

A million thanks!!