Last Minute Cinco de Mayo Treats

by on May 5, 2010 · 18 comments

I’m never ready for Cinco de Mayo!  As usual, here is the list of last minute treats.  I’ve added a few things friends have made in the past few days as well.

Mexican Chocolate Chunk Cookies

New Additions

Lucinda Hutson’s Jalapeno Carrot Cake — A friend is making this and will report back soon.  It seems to be a very dense cake.

Chocolate Cinnamon Bundt Cake — Food Librarian recommends this, as does Janice who posted it on the “Go-To” cakes list.

The Tuesdays with Dorie bloggers made Burnt Sugar Ice Cream

Cookies

Mexican Chocolate Chunk Cookies — These were incredible when made with actual Mexican chocolate ( the kind that doubles as drink mix).

Golden Cinnamon Pumpkin Bars — These might be passable as Cinco de Mayo treats, right? Pumpkin?

Mayan Chocolate Cookies — I prefer the Tex-Mex cookies, but these were excellent as well.

Tex-Mex Chocolate Cookies — Excellent chocolate cookies with a hint of chipotle. Make sure you use natural cocoa powder or the cookies won’t rise properly.

Priscilla’s Fiesta Fudge Cookies — A quick and easy prize winner for kids and adults.

Oaxaca Fudge Bars with Cashew Topping — These bars made it to Food TV Ultimate Recipe Showdown.

Mexican Chocolate Crunch Brownies — Bake-off Recipe by Val.

Coconut Cut-Outs — Good cut-out dough from Martha Stewart.

Mexican Chocolate Biscotti — Cinnamon chips in chocolate biscotti.

Chocolate Dulces — Super simple junior league treat

Chocolate Snickerdoodles — Simple and good.

Cakes

Flan Cake — Kind of a strange cake, but fun and impressive if it works.

Frontera’s Mexican Chocolate Streusel Cake — Very moist cake. The hardest part is finding the Mexican chocolate.

Tres Leches Cake — Mmmmmmmmm. Three Milks.

Published on May 5, 2010

Dani May 5, 2009 at 7:38 am

they all sound so tempting i think i would have to sample them all! LOL

Louise May 5, 2009 at 8:41 am

In Douglas Rodriguez’s “Nuevo Latino” cookbook, he has recipes for Chocolate Tres Leches as well as Banana and Apple ones. I’ve made the chocolate and it was a huge success. You can look at the recipes here. http://books.google.com/books?id=92yA62pNgDAC&pg=PA141&lpg=PA141&dq=Douglas+Rodriguez+chocolate+tres+leches+cake+recipe&source=bl&ots=PQw-AL-6_t&sig=1hUd9ZsfbKOz-hRSgH0jl2VxalU&hl=en&ei=ZE0ASpOPH5q0NbHexNsH&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=7#PPA141,M1

Anna May 5, 2009 at 8:45 am

Wow. That is one show-stopping Tres Leches cake! It doesn’t look very difficult, either. Just time consuming.

Katrina May 5, 2009 at 8:46 am

Mmmmm. Great reminders!

Louise May 5, 2009 at 8:50 am

Douglas Rodriguez also had a terrific Pumpkin Flan, but this one from Gourmet is a winner too. http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Pumpkin-Flan-with-Pumpkin-Seed-Praline-102600

Karen May 5, 2009 at 10:09 am

Great post, I’m gonna make the Tex Mex cookies this afternoon – thanks for the inspiration.
I made the streusel cake some time back and enjoyed it a lot.

Pearl May 5, 2009 at 11:32 am

flan cake is similar to the cheesecake flan that i made :) except not with chocolate, though, and no flour.

Barbara May 5, 2010 at 8:19 am

Tres Leches I have down pat, but flan cake? I can’t wait to try that.

Anna May 5, 2010 at 8:24 am

The flan cake is an old one I got off Recipezaar. Lots of people are attacted to that recipe. Our family liked it, but I only made it once.

Louise May 5, 2010 at 8:51 am

I’ve been so looking forward to the Chicken Enchiladas I’m making that I totally forgot about dessert. The Jalapeno Carrot Cake caught my eye, but the others are certainly tempting too.

Katrina May 5, 2010 at 1:28 pm

Hey, nice timing. I was just trying to decide what to make for a taco dinner with some friends tomorrow (we’re a day off) and I actually have 7 ounces of cond. milk opened in the fridge. Those Chocolate Dulces sound perfect!

Janice May 5, 2010 at 2:10 pm

The Food Librarian cake is something I make at least 2x month..it’s that good (and easy).
This is a great Cinco de Mayo recipe from D. Lebovitz
(in a pinch I’ve used Mrs. Richardson’s caramel topping mixed with a bit of flour)

Janice May 5, 2010 at 2:18 pm

Anna,
isn’t the Chocoflan the one Rick Bayless tweeted (twitted?)
about?
If so I’ve been meaning to try it:
however, the cake mix idea seems a lot easier;-)

Anna May 5, 2010 at 3:51 pm

Janice, his looks a little easier and less cumbersome than the cake mix version from Recipezaar.

Louise May 6, 2010 at 1:40 pm

I ended up making the Flan Cake. I didn’t realize from the list that it’s Chocolate Flan Cake. That made the decision. I did a 2/3 recipe using a Kugelhopf pan and did the flan without cream cheese per one of the comments. I baked it for 75 minutes and it came out great. I forgot to take a photo. :-( So I’ll just have to make it again.

Anna May 6, 2010 at 1:45 pm

Thanks for the review, Louise! I hope it went well with your enchiladas.

Yesterday I was looking through my old posts and found one of my old Kreepy Kreations. It was a chocolate Bundt cake with a pumpkin cheesecake on top and it was pretty good. A few people even made it and said so. Since you liked the flan cake and are adventurous, you may want to try it one day.

I think I might play around with this one — maybe halve it and make it in a 9 inch round springform.

Janice May 6, 2010 at 3:44 pm

Anna,
I made the Chocotweet (Bayless) version and almost tossed it: SO sweet.
However that was while warm. A nite in the fridge and it is an entirely different cake: mmm!!!!
[IMG]http://i42.tinypic.com/339hkt3.jpg[/IMG]

Rick Bayless ChocoTweet Cake and Marcela Valladolid Used her cream cheese idea (w/1+ yolk),his coffee (used espresso powder) and my addition of cinnamon

Louise May 6, 2010 at 4:47 pm

I wonder what Betty Crocker thinks when we use a fraction of her cake mix instead of making the whole thing.