Last Minute Cinco de Mayo Treats

I’m never ready for Cinco de Mayo!  As usual, here is the list of last minute treats.  I’ve added a few things friends have made in the past few days as well.

Mexican Chocolate Chunk Cookies

New Additions

Lucinda Hutson’s Jalapeno Carrot Cake — A friend is making this and will report back soon.  It seems to be a very dense cake.

Chocolate Cinnamon Bundt Cake — Food Librarian recommends this, as does Janice who posted it on the “Go-To” cakes list.

The Tuesdays with Dorie bloggers made Burnt Sugar Ice Cream

Cookies

Mexican Chocolate Chunk Cookies — These were incredible when made with actual Mexican chocolate ( the kind that doubles as drink mix).

Golden Cinnamon Pumpkin Bars — These might be passable as Cinco de Mayo treats, right? Pumpkin?

Mayan Chocolate Cookies — I prefer the Tex-Mex cookies, but these were excellent as well.

Tex-Mex Chocolate Cookies — Excellent chocolate cookies with a hint of chipotle. Make sure you use natural cocoa powder or the cookies won’t rise properly.

Priscilla’s Fiesta Fudge Cookies — A quick and easy prize winner for kids and adults.

Oaxaca Fudge Bars with Cashew Topping — These bars made it to Food TV Ultimate Recipe Showdown.

Mexican Chocolate Crunch Brownies — Bake-off Recipe by Val.

Coconut Cut-Outs — Good cut-out dough from Martha Stewart.

Mexican Chocolate Biscotti — Cinnamon chips in chocolate biscotti.

Chocolate Dulces — Super simple junior league treat

Chocolate Snickerdoodles — Simple and good.

Cakes

Flan Cake — Kind of a strange cake, but fun and impressive if it works.

Frontera’s Mexican Chocolate Streusel Cake — Very moist cake. The hardest part is finding the Mexican chocolate.

Tres Leches Cake — Mmmmmmmmm. Three Milks.

Comments

1. Louise says

In Douglas Rodriguez’s “Nuevo Latino” cookbook, he has recipes for Chocolate Tres Leches as well as Banana and Apple ones. I’ve made the chocolate and it was a huge success. You can look at the recipes here. http://books.google.com/books?id=92yA62pNgDAC&pg=PA141&lpg=PA141&dq=Douglas+Rodriguez+chocolate+tres+leches+cake+recipe&source=bl&ots=PQw-AL-6_t&sig=1hUd9ZsfbKOz-hRSgH0jl2VxalU&hl=en&ei=ZE0ASpOPH5q0NbHexNsH&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=7#PPA141,M1

Wow. That is one show-stopping Tres Leches cake! It doesn’t look very difficult, either. Just time consuming.

3. Karen says

Great post, I’m gonna make the Tex Mex cookies this afternoon – thanks for the inspiration.
    I made the streusel cake some time back and enjoyed it a lot.

flan cake is similar to the cheesecake flan that i made :) except not with chocolate, though, and no flour.

The flan cake is an old one I got off Recipezaar. Lots of people are attacted to that recipe. Our family liked it, but I only made it once.

6. Louise says

I’ve been so looking forward to the Chicken Enchiladas I’m making that I totally forgot about dessert. The Jalapeno Carrot Cake caught my eye, but the others are certainly tempting too.

Hey, nice timing. I was just trying to decide what to make for a taco dinner with some friends tomorrow (we’re a day off) and I actually have 7 ounces of cond. milk opened in the fridge. Those Chocolate Dulces sound perfect!

Janice, his looks a little easier and less cumbersome than the cake mix version from Recipezaar.

9. Louise says

I ended up making the Flan Cake. I didn’t realize from the list that it’s Chocolate Flan Cake. That made the decision. I did a 2/3 recipe using a Kugelhopf pan and did the flan without cream cheese per one of the comments. I baked it for 75 minutes and it came out great. I forgot to take a photo. :-( So I’ll just have to make it again.

Thanks for the review, Louise! I hope it went well with your enchiladas.

Yesterday I was looking through my old posts and found one of my old Kreepy Kreations. It was a chocolate Bundt cake with a pumpkin cheesecake on top and it was pretty good. A few people even made it and said so. Since you liked the flan cake and are adventurous, you may want to try it one day.

I think I might play around with this one — maybe halve it and make it in a 9 inch round springform.

11. Janice says

Anna,
    I made the Chocotweet (Bayless) version and almost tossed it: SO sweet.
    However that was while warm. A nite in the fridge and it is an entirely different cake: mmm!!!!
    [IMG]http://i42.tinypic.com/339hkt3.jpg[/IMG]

Rick Bayless ChocoTweet Cake and Marcela Valladolid Used her cream cheese idea (w/1+ yolk),his coffee (used espresso powder) and my addition of cinnamon

12. Louise says

I wonder what Betty Crocker thinks when we use a fraction of her cake mix instead of making the whole thing.