More Cream Cheese Brownies

by on September 26, 2010 · 16 comments

This week I baked a batch of cream cheese brownies. They weren’t that bad, but I knew I could do better. I wanted a brownie with a cream cheese topping that wouldn’t sink to the bottom, wasn’t too stiff and eggy, and had a little tartness. After asking for a few recipe recommendations, I put together a list of recipes that sounded good.

Maida Heatter’s Cream Cheese Brownies
Alice Medrich’s recipe
David Lebovitz’srecipe
Lower Fat Cream Cheese Brownies

After trying to develop a recipe of my own and not having much luck, I went to the recommendations list and made David Lebovitz’s cream cheese brownies. They were terrific and just what I was hoping for. Because I didn’t want to do things exactly the same way, I threw a heaping tablespoon of sour cream into the filling, but other than that I stuck with the recipe and loved the results. Thanks to those of you who recommended the recipe, including Sue at Basically Baked, who made a batch yesterday. I might try one more recipe just for fun, but this is a brownie I’d be proud to serve to just about any crowd.

Cream Cheese Brownies

Recipe Here — (and you can throw in a tablespoon of sour cream if you want)

cream cheese brownies

Published on September 26, 2010

Louise September 26, 2010 at 2:00 pm

This is the recipe I too use for cheese cake brownies. Sometimes I switch it up by using chevre instead of cream cheese. :-) You wouldn’t pick it out as goat cheese, as it gives it a hint of lemon taste.

Sue September 26, 2010 at 2:19 pm

I love the swirls on yours! The sour cream addition was a great idea. I’m glad you liked them, and I’m glad your earlier post got me in gear to try a recipe for them.

CindyD September 26, 2010 at 5:03 pm

I have to bake something to take to a fancy tea in November and I may make these – except I think I may bake them in mini muffin pans.

vanillasugar September 26, 2010 at 7:09 pm

that’s my go to recipe too, but i never swirl them as i love the huge chunks of cream cheese. but yeah lebovitz recipe never fails; man’s a genius

Betty @ scrambled hen fruit September 26, 2010 at 9:08 pm

It’s hard to go wrong with brownies and cream cheese- I love Lebovitz recipes. Delish!

Katrina September 26, 2010 at 10:29 pm

Glad to see you found such a winner for cream cheese brownies.

LimeCake September 26, 2010 at 11:28 pm

I don’t think I know anyone who doesn’t like cream cheese brownies. I know I do. These look swirly and delicious!

Bakericious September 26, 2010 at 11:51 pm

I had tried David’s dulce de leche brownie, very good too, you are making me drooling now.

Barbara September 27, 2010 at 5:49 am

I think the best ones I’ve ever tasted were from Smitten Kitchen. I loved that it had chocolate chips on the top as well.

Tina from PA September 27, 2010 at 10:48 am

Yum Creamcheese Brownies ! I posted a question about the candy pictured on the right ,but brilliant me I posted on the noodle post , sorry .

Anna September 27, 2010 at 12:08 pm

Hi Tina,

That picture you were referring to is Frito Candy. Here is the link. I actually had to take down the picture temporarily because I’m having problems getting the link to work.

Amanda September 27, 2010 at 5:03 pm

Beautiful marbling Anna! They look fabulous :)

the blissful baker September 27, 2010 at 10:48 pm

yummm i love cream cheese brownies. i’ve been using a recipe from joyofbaking.com, but these looks great too!

Jennifer September 29, 2010 at 9:56 am

I made these last night, for some reason mind didn’t brown on top. I am also the world’s worst swirler!

I baked them, let them cool, covered and refrigerated them overnight and we are enjoying them as an afternoon snack at my office today. I’m sure they’ll be delicious!

Anna September 29, 2010 at 10:35 am

Jennifer, that’s interesting. Did you forget the egg yolk? Egg yolk tends to brown pretty quickly. I’m sure the brownies will still be good, though.

Jennifer October 1, 2010 at 10:02 am

Anna,
Yep, I remembered the egg. Looking at David Lebovitz’s picture, his didn’t get very brown either, so maybe it varies (or maybe it’s my oven.)
Jennifer