More Cream Cheese Brownies

This week I baked a batch of cream cheese brownies. They weren’t that bad, but I knew I could do better. I wanted a brownie with a cream cheese topping that wouldn’t sink to the bottom, wasn’t too stiff and eggy, and had a little tartness. After asking for a few recipe recommendations, I put together a list of recipes that sounded good.

Maida Heatter’s Cream Cheese Brownies
Alice Medrich’s recipe
David Lebovitz’srecipe
Lower Fat Cream Cheese Brownies

After trying to develop a recipe of my own and not having much luck, I went to the recommendations list and made David Lebovitz’s cream cheese brownies. They were terrific and just what I was hoping for. Because I didn’t want to do things exactly the same way, I threw a heaping tablespoon of sour cream into the filling, but other than that I stuck with the recipe and loved the results. Thanks to those of you who recommended the recipe, including Sue at Basically Baked, who made a batch yesterday. I might try one more recipe just for fun, but this is a brownie I’d be proud to serve to just about any crowd.

Cream Cheese Brownies

Recipe Here — (and you can throw in a tablespoon of sour cream if you want)

cream cheese brownies

Comments

1. Louise says

This is the recipe I too use for cheese cake brownies. Sometimes I switch it up by using chevre instead of cream cheese. :-) You wouldn’t pick it out as goat cheese, as it gives it a hint of lemon taste.

I love the swirls on yours! The sour cream addition was a great idea. I’m glad you liked them, and I’m glad your earlier post got me in gear to try a recipe for them.

3. CindyD says

I have to bake something to take to a fancy tea in November and I may make these – except I think I may bake them in mini muffin pans.

4. Tina from PA says

Yum Creamcheese Brownies ! I posted a question about the candy pictured on the right ,but brilliant me I posted on the noodle post , sorry .

I made these last night, for some reason mind didn’t brown on top. I am also the world’s worst swirler!

I baked them, let them cool, covered and refrigerated them overnight and we are enjoying them as an afternoon snack at my office today. I’m sure they’ll be delicious!

Jennifer, that’s interesting. Did you forget the egg yolk? Egg yolk tends to brown pretty quickly. I’m sure the brownies will still be good, though.

Anna,
    Yep, I remembered the egg. Looking at David Lebovitz’s picture, his didn’t get very brown either, so maybe it varies (or maybe it’s my oven.)
    Jennifer