Skor Bar Oatmeal Cookies

A few years ago a young friend of mine threw a small dinner party in her apartment. She served pork tenderloin, wild rice, perfectly cooked asparagus and a dessert consisting of fresh strawberries topped with a mixture of cream cheese, sugar, and Skor Bars. Our hostess said it was her mom’s recipe and that the key ingredient was the Skor bars, which for some reason, work better than Heath bars or any other toffee. She went onto tell us that Skor bars were getting harder to find and her only source was Walgreen’s. I made a mental note of that at the time, and am glad I did because I found this recipe in a pile of stuff I brought back from Hershey.

Because we suddenly needed Skor Bars this morning, Fuzz and I finished breakfast and went straight to Walgreen’s where they did indeed have the bars. Plus flu shots! Fuzz’s reward for getting a flu shot was a stuffed dog with big (creepy) eyes and a chance to taste-test a Skor bar in the car. We both decided that they taste a little more buttery than Heath. Later, during the baking process, I noticed they melted better as well. In fact, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Heath bar melt.

The currants were an interesting addition to the recipe, and it calls for a lot of them. If you’re baking these for a get together, this recipe might liven things up because a lot of people haven’t tried currants and my guess is most people haven’t tried them with Skor bars. And good luck finding your Skor bars!

Skor Bar Cookies
Skor Bars

Skor Bar Oatmeal Cookies

4 ounces (1 stick) unsalted butter
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
8 oz light brown sugar (1 very firmly packed cup)
1 large egg, lightly beaten
6 tablespoons sour cream (3 oz)
2 teaspoons vanilla
5 ounces dried currants
7 ounces (2 ¼ cups) rolled oats
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2teaspoon salt
6 ounces (1 1/3 cup) all purpose flour
4 ounces Skor candy bars, chopped

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. cream the butter, oil and brown sugar. Add the egg and beat until fluffy. Add the sour cream and vanilla. Stir in the currants and oats. In a separate bowl, mix the baking soda, cinnamon, salt and flour. Add this to the above creamed mixture in portions, beating well after each addition. Stir in chopped Skor pieces. Scoop and bake for 12-15 minutes. Makes about 4 dozen

Comments

Currants and Skor bars sound like an interesting combination! Skor bars are easily found here. In fact sometimes more easily than Heath bars. Isn’t it interesting how things are marketed differently in different areas? My husband and I went through a thankfully short time period where we were testing the Skor and Heath bars to determine which we liked better. I don’t think we ever came to a conclusion, and feared our jeans were getting tight in our quest for an answer so we gave up.

This is an intriguing recipe with the inclusion of sour cream along with the Skor Bars and currants. How about Skor and chocolate chips? Naturally I would think of that. :-)

You and I, Lisa, just thinking I’d have to go with chocolate chips instead of the currants.
    And now you’re making me want to look for Skor bars just to see where I can find them. Like a treasure hunt. ;)

4. ChrisV says

I totally agree on the Skors bar issue – their meltability factor is unparalleled. I have a recipe that incorporates so many good things (pecans, oatmeal, chocolate chunks, sour cherries), one of which is Skors bits – the toffee without the chocolate covering. About a year after using this recipe, I could no longer find the Skors bits, and Butter Brickle bits were a terribly substitute. I moved to WA several years ago and discovered the Skors bits are available at grocery stores in British Columbia – marketed at Hershey’s Chipoits.

5. Louise says

Skor bars beat Heath any day, but I think Daim bars, which go by various names in Scandinavia, are superior to both. You can find Daim bars, sometimes just the minis, in IKEA.

6. Gloria says

Those cookies look delicious! I love Skor and Heath, but the old teeth are not crazy about them anymore!
    On a related candy note, I tried the Hershey’s irish cream kisses for the first time this year. I love them. Think they would melt up and with some doctoring taste good as a frosting for something? Or maybe chopped up in a brownie or cookie?

Gloria, thanks for turning me on to the Irish Creme Kisses! I haven’t seen those, but will check Target. They sound delicious.