Blueberry Gingerbread Bars

by on June 29, 2011 · 7 comments

I apologize if this recipe seems more suited for fall, but I’ve been looking for ways to use the blueberries that are showing up in all our grocery stores. They’re great straight, but I was in the mood for ginger and thought I might try combining the two flavors again. The result was this bar cookie. They’re on the “healthy” side, I suppose, with white whole wheat flour and only 4 tablespoons of oil, but they’re still really tasty and not too sweet. I wouldn’t feel guilty eating one for breakfast.

blueberry gingerbread bars

Blueberry Gingerbread Bars

1 cup (4.5 oz) white whole wheat or all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon ginger
4 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/4 cup molasses
6 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1 cup fresh blueberries (or as many as you want)
Powdered sugar (optional)

Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line an 8 inch pan with non-stick foil.

Mix together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and ginger. Set aside.
Whisk the oil, molasses and brown sugar together in a mixing bowl. Whisk in the egg and lemon zest. With a large spoon or spatula scraper, stir in the flour mixture. Batter will be pretty thick, so add the blueberries and do it gently, taking care that you don’t mash them up too much! Spread batter in pan and bake for about 22-25 minutes or until the kitchen smells gingery and the bars appear set and brown around the edges. Let cool completely in the pan. Lift from pan and cut into 16 squares. Dust with powdered sugar if you like.

Published on June 29, 2011

Sue June 29, 2011 at 1:49 pm

We haven’t gotten to blueberry season quite yet, but I’m glad you’ve found another way to enjoy the ones you’re getting! These look good, and I immediately found myself wondering how they’d be with peaches?

natalie (the sweets life) June 29, 2011 at 2:13 pm

i love ginger year round! this looks like a great recipe–i might try and add some candied ginger too!

Katrina June 29, 2011 at 7:25 pm

I still have a freezer full of blueberries from last year (and keep buying fresh ones and eating them). The bars look great!

Gloria June 29, 2011 at 10:15 pm

Another use for blueberries! They were on sale BOGO last week so I purchased 4 pints and froze them. I like ginger in baked items, but I don’t make enough! I like blueberries in my banana brownies too!

Lisa @ Sweet as Sugar Cookies June 30, 2011 at 1:31 am

Mmm, I know I would love these bars. By the way, I made your Ultimate Stand Mixer Chocolate Chip Cookies as part of a month-long quest for the best chocolate chip cookie. It made my list of winners. You can check it out here – http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/06/ultimate-stand-mixer-chocolate-chip.html and http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/06/chocolate-chip-cookie-winner.html

Sasha June 30, 2011 at 3:31 pm

Blueberries AND ginger!? Why are you doing this to me!! Throw in the hint of lemon and im anyones haha but seriously..what i would give for the chance to try these out!!

Mackenzie@The Caramel Cookie July 6, 2011 at 7:36 pm

I love regular gingerbread so I’m sure I would love these!