Ice Cream Sundae Pie

by on June 27, 2011 · 13 comments

Today’s recipe was a reminder that I really need to make more ice cream pies. Really, is there anything better? Maybe cookies are better in the fall, but on hot days an ice cream pie like this one has everything going for it. I’m not sure where this recipe originated, but it was in a pile of stuff given to me by my grandmother so I’m assuming it’s fairly old. The pie is pretty basic, seeing as how the filling is just plain vanilla ice cream, but the Oreo crumbs and the rich but not overly sweet chocolate sauce make the whole so much better than the sum of its parts Then again, that’s the way it is with all sundaes I suppose.

Ice Cream Sundae Pie

Ice Cream Sundae Pie

20 Oreos or 2 cups of Oreo crumbs
6 tablespoons melted butter
2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 cup granulated sugar
5 oz evaporated milk (1 very small can)
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
1 quart (4 cups) vanilla ice cream
Whipped topping, sprinkles, cherries, etc.

Process the Oreos into crumbs.

Combine the crumbs and melted butter in bowl. Press into and up the sides of a well-greased 9 inch deep dish pie dish. Freeze until firm.

Meanwhile, heat the chocolate and butter together over low heat in a small saucepan.. When melted, gradually add the sugar and stir well. Next, add the evaporated milk slowly (I did it in three parts), stirring until smooth. When mixture is smooth, remove from heat and let cool slightly. Stir in the vanilla extract. Pour the chocolate sauce into a clean bowl or into a 2 cup Pyrex measuring cup. Refrigerate for a few hours or until it is completely cool. It will thicken slightly as it cools, but it won’t be as thick as hot fudge.

While the syrup thickens and cools in the refrigerator, add the ice cream to the pie crust and freeze until firm.

When ready to serve, slice the pie. Top each slice with a big spoonful of sauce, a dollop of whipped cream, some sprinkles and a cherry (if you have some).

Serves 6 to 8

Published on June 27, 2011

Katrina June 27, 2011 at 10:37 pm

Mmm, I agree about ice cream especially in the summer. I have a similar one made in a 9×13 pan, Oreo crust, ice cream layer, hot fudge (but not hot) layer, whipped cream (or Cool Whip) layer, crumbs sprinkled on top. I love that you can use any ice cream you want and I’ve even made it with the vanilla Oreos so it has no chocolate (for my mom). Good! We’re having company at the end of the week–I think I just figured out what to make. Making a couple different ones in pie for instead of all one flavor would be fun, too. Glad you’re back! ;)

Gloria June 28, 2011 at 12:33 am

My favorite dessert to make in the summer is ice cream pie. I’ve never made sauce for it so now I will try. I love the golden oreos Katrina mentions so maybe that is the crust I’ll use next time. Thanks for the reminder so I can become addicted to them again! Most of the time I combine two icecream flavors..Chocolate on the bottom and something with fruit or caramel on the top.

bakingblonde June 28, 2011 at 6:19 am

Who doesn’t love a good Icecream pie!? I am also a huge lover of the icecream cake! MMMMM icecream!

Sue June 28, 2011 at 7:31 am

With the weather you’ve been having a no bake dessert option must be especially welcome!

d.liff @ yelleBELLYboo June 28, 2011 at 7:56 am

YUM! My grandmother made her famous ice cream pie last Thursday it was so good! Instead of oreo bottom she makes a flat fudgy brownie bottom. It’s the best! She tops it with her famous hot fudge: http://yellebellyboo.blogspot.com/2011/06/nanny-paulas-hot-fudge.html You HAVE to try it!

Lisa Ernst June 28, 2011 at 8:43 am

Does this ever look refreshing and delicious on these 90 degree plus days! Thanks for the reminder of a perfect summer treat.

natalie (the sweets life) June 28, 2011 at 10:43 am

People NEVER complain about ice cream pie desserts! This one looks great!

michele June 28, 2011 at 2:22 pm

I like the simplicity of an ice cream cake.

andi winslow June 28, 2011 at 3:19 pm

Looks wonderful. I have never made a ice cream pie will have to add this to my to do list. I posted another donut recipe and wondered if you have made any donuts? Andi

Upstate NY Native June 28, 2011 at 4:24 pm

PERFECT TIMING – we are going to a party on Saturday. They don’t like cookies and cakes but LOVE ice cream. Guess what I’m bringing!! Thanks Anna

holly June 28, 2011 at 10:15 pm

Perfection in a pie!!!:) Looks delish!

The Cotton Floozy June 29, 2011 at 12:07 am

THIS is what I need to get me through The Summer of Agonizing Hot Flashes ’11. Thanks for the great recipe and the ice cream pie solution!

Mackenzie@The Caramel Cookie July 6, 2011 at 7:40 pm

This would be perfect for summer get together. Thanks!