Fresh Mango Ice Cream

I couldn’t wait to post this recipe, because it’s just the perfect summer dessert – elegant, simple, and fairly inexpensive, with only four ingredients, a couple of mangoes, sugar, cream and lemon juice. This recipe is from the (purportedly haunted!) Menger Hotel in San Antonio. In my opinion, it tastes best straight out of the ice cream machine, which brings me to a question. What kind of ice cream machine do you have and do you like it? I’m in the market for a new one. Mine is an older model Cuisinart with a cracked plastic cover and is literally held together with tape and rubber bands.

Mango Ice Cream

Fresh Mango Ice Cream

2 large ripe mangoes, seeded (or use about 8 oz frozen, thawed…why not?)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon of lemon juice or more to taste

Puree your mangoes and sugar in the food processor or in a blender. Stir in the cream and lemon juice. Put it all in the ice cream maker and prepare as per the manufacturer’s directions.

Comments

I love the sound of this. I’m getting seriously tempted to buy an ice cream maker since I discovered how well granulated Stevia works in frozen desserts!

2. Jenn says

oh, this is just too good not to try! and i have some peaches too….score! as for the ice cream maker, i went for the cheap cuisinart 1.5 qt – been churning for a few years now without a problem although i’d love to get my hands on that pretty stainless one with the dual containers.

This looks so refreshing, and I love the simplicity of it. I’ve yet to break out my ice cream maker this summer, but the time is coming soon.

I so wished i had an ice cream maker at times like these! One of my favourite summer treats is mango sorbet so im certain i would love this, and to make it at home would be wonderful! Im very interested in peoples reviews too so will keep checking back, drooling at the picture as i go :)

Just a idea, since most bakers already have a kitchen aid mixer,Kitchen aid makes a freezer bowl attachment just for ice cream using the mixer as a motor base.You can buy them on Amazon Good luck with your quest !

6. Rina says

Yum, I love mango ice cream! I just made a fresh strawberry ice cream the other day that I need to finish. I used to use the Kitchen Aid Standmixer attachment for ice cream, but my bowl started leaking a strange blue substance (?). I ended up picking up the basic 1.5 qt Cuisinart version because one of the discontinued colors was on clearance and I got it for only $30! :)

7. Judy B. Texas says

How much will this recipe make? 1 quart…less than 1 quart ??
    I recently bought a Cuisinart 1.5 qt at Kohl’s for $60.00 – it’s a plastic model. Wish I had waited, as Williams-Sonoma just this past week had a chrome 1.5 Cuisinart with a few extras through in for $65.00. Check out their web site and see if the special is still on – it was a great deal. Thanks for this recipe – I live in Houston and it’s hot as Hedes so this ice cream will chill us out (hopefully).

8. Jennifer says

I have the same 1.5 Cuisinart as Rina and Jenn and like it. I watched for it on sale on Amazon.

The mango ice cream sounds delicious!

9. Louise says

I’ve thought about buying the Kitchen Aid attachment when it goes on sale, but hold back because while it has an overall high review, it looks like about 20% of the users give it 1 star due to leaking of the coolant after only a few uses. And some users seem to have totally burned out the mixers. I have a very old ice cream maker which only makes about a quart that I occasionally use.

We have the Kitchen Aid ice cream maker attachment and like it a lot. That said, it’s the only electric ice cream maker we’ve ever had so we can’t make useful comparisons.
    I wonder if David Lebovitz of The Perfect Scoop says anything about ice cream makers on his blog? It might be worth checking out?

11. Dana says

I recently purchased the stainless steel 1.5 quart Cuisinart ice cream maker at Sam’s Club for…$49.99. That was $15 cheaper than anywhere else I had seen it (Amazon or BB&B w/ coupon). I’ve used it about 8 times already and love it!

what I love about frozen mango is that when you thaw it, it has the exact same consistency as fresh mango.

We have an old fashioned ice cream maker where you have to load ice into the sides instead of the fancy “frozen barrel” varieties. I don’t like it because its so huge and inconvenient (and loud!). I would really like a smaller one that has a frozen barrel and only fits a quart or 1 1/2 quarts so its not so much a hassle and more space friendly.

This ice cream looks delicious and I think it would be amazing with a fresh raspberry puree swirl, don’t you think? So summery!

13. Shelly says

I also have the Kitchen Aid ice cream attachment. It works just fine for me! That mango ice cream looks fabou!

Shelly

14. B.j. says

You can also do what the Menger does and top the ice cream with mango sauce. Just purée canned mangos with their juice and pour over the mango ice cream.