Ted’s Montana Grill Double Chocolate Cookie Recipe

by on August 18, 2011 · 16 comments

I was really happy to get a press release saying Ted Turner’s Montana Grill was giving away free cookies. I thought we had one here in Austin, but it turns out I got it mixed up with Willie Nelson’s Texas Roadhouse.

Oh well.

But if you live near a Ted’s you’re in luck because they’ve decided that August is Cookie Month at Ted’s Montana Grill and to celebrate, they are giving cookies away on August 23. You do have to make a small purchase, though, so you can’t just run in and ask the hostess to load you up. I think they want you to sit down and order some coffee or a big juicy steak  to go with your cookie. So go hungry. They have Chocolate Chip, Snickerdoodle, Oatmeal Raisin, and a new Double Chocolate Cookie for which they have generously shared the recipe. Woo Hoo! Now if I ever find myself at a Ted’s Montana Grill and fall in love with their cookies, I won’t have to spend all day trying to clone them.  Recipe is after the jump.

Ted's Double Chocolate Cookies

Okay, here’s the recipe.  It must be directly from chefs because it appears to be in weights.  If you don’t have a scale, I’ve put what I think is the closest volume amount.  There doesn’t appear to be any leavening either, which is interesting. I’ll have to try these…

Ted’s Montana Grill Double Chocolate Cookies

Yield: 12 cookies

4.5 oz. softened butter, unsalted (9 tablespoons)
20 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips (3 1/3 cups)
9 oz. granulated sugar (if you don’t have a scale, this is about 1 1/3 scant cups)
3 whole eggs
1 tbsp. vanilla extract
5 oz. pastry flour (About 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons)
3/4 tsp. iodized salt

Directions

1. In a double boiler, add butter and 11 oz. of chocolate chips. Gently heat the mixture together. Stir with rubber spatula. Set aside when the mixture is smooth and fully melted.

2. Add the sugar, eggs and vanilla. With rubber spatula, mix until fully blended.

3. Add the flour, salt and 9 oz. of chocolate chips to the melted chocolate/egg mixture and mix until fully incorporated using spatula.

4. Place mixture in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, portion the mixture into 3 oz. sizes. Place the 3 oz. portions on a sheet pan with parchment paper, cover and refrigerate.

5. To bake: Line a sheet tray with parchment paper. Pre-heat oven to 325°F. Using the portioned 3 oz. cookies, gently press the cookies to about 3½” round by ½” tall. Arrange 4-6 cookies per pan. Bake for 6 minutes, rotate pans and bake additional 6 minutes. Cool completely on sheet pans.

Published on August 18, 2011

Sue August 18, 2011 at 1:47 pm

The yield must be 12 dozen, not 12 cookies. Interesting recipe!

Anna August 18, 2011 at 1:50 pm

Hi Sue! I think 12 cookies is about right. Those cookies look really big. It says they’re 3 oz each, so I think 12 is about right. Maybe you read the 4.5 oz as 45 oz.

CindyD August 18, 2011 at 1:59 pm

We drove about an hour once from our home in Ohio to Columbus just to have buffalo at Ted’s. We were somewhat disappointed. But we didn’t notice the cookies. This is an interesting recipe – that’s a LOT of chocolate chips.

Adam August 18, 2011 at 2:17 pm

I’m on vacation next week (yay me! :)) and I’ve been wanting to break out a new CCC recipe as I currently have only one go to. These cookies look really good, and they might be the ones to try. Anyone ever taste the restaurant versions (are they worth it)? And I’m also fascinated by the lack of leavening, which I’m assuming is because of how many eggs there are (CCC recipes of this size typically have 1, maybe 2 eggs, no?).

Paula B. August 18, 2011 at 5:48 pm

We have a Ted’s near us, just outside of Providence, and the food is great. My husband loves the buffalo and I stick to good ol’ beef. Maybe we can go this week and have a cookie but I definitely want to try these at home. Was looking the other day for a c.c.c. cookie recipe and was not all that happy with the one I ended up making….so thanks for the timely post!

Lisa Ernst August 19, 2011 at 7:05 am

This looks like a great chocolate cookie recipe because of the amazing amount of chocolate called for. You know me,,,never too much chocolate. :-) We have a Ted’s here in Nashville but being a vegetarian, I’ve never been there. Maybe their veggies are good?

Sue August 19, 2011 at 8:21 am

You’re right! I mis-read the recipe. Sorry about that!

Mackenzie@The Caramel Cookie August 19, 2011 at 10:24 am

Never heard of Ted’s but this recipe sounds delicious!

Martha in KS August 19, 2011 at 10:26 am

All of the Ted’s in the Kansas City area closed last year. If you have one in your area, the meatloaf is amazing! They serve buffalo meat, which is leaner than beef though similar in taste. They’re owned by Ted Turner – ex-husband of Jane Fonda.

Erin August 19, 2011 at 12:21 pm

OOOOOOO Nom nom nom.

Bjbj August 19, 2011 at 4:14 pm

It astounds me that most cookie recipes call for 1/3 cup dough per cookie. I usually make 30 cookies from a recipe, so then you get the taste without mega calories. 30 years ago my 10 year old was diagnosed with type 1diabetes & the dietitian suggested that I reduce the sugar by 1/3 in my cookie recipes & no one would notice. she was correct! Cookies are a mainstay on the farm and definitely a big part of my baking.

Erin P. August 19, 2011 at 9:21 pm

I just have a question. They say they are double chocolate…but there is only chocolate chips. Should there be cocoa powder or something else to make this double?

Anna August 19, 2011 at 9:39 pm

Erin, I think they mean it’s double because it’s a chocolate cookie with chocolate chips. You melt 11 oz of the chocolate chips so the cookie dough is chocolate, but the rest are left whole so you have chips. Technically it’s one chocolate, but categorically it’s a double chocolate cookie.

Audrey September 1, 2011 at 9:11 pm

Anything with chocolate is yummy :) I”m enjoying reading through your recipes.

misty October 30, 2011 at 5:45 pm

Teds has Boca Burgers for vegetarians :) and their cookies are always giant and DELICIOUS!

Laura June 5, 2012 at 2:37 pm

I love Ted’s cookies, I need the snickerdoodle recipe though, they are my absolute favorite! They serve them on top of 2 scoops of haagen daz, heavenly!