A Cake for National Margarita Day

by on February 21, 2012 · 7 comments

It’s a little late to post a Fat Tuesday recipe, so in honor of the upcoming National Margarita Day on February 22, here’s a cake to consider. The cake itself is key lime, but the icing really does taste like margarita. I could use one right now, btw.

Key Lime Bundt Cake with Margarita Icing

key-lime-cake-margarita-icing

Published on February 21, 2012

Lisa @ Snappy Gourmet February 21, 2012 at 3:56 pm

Yum! My kind of food holiday! :)

Louise February 21, 2012 at 4:00 pm

I made this a while back and it was excellent. I missed National Cherry Pie Day yesterday. I almost pulled out a bag of sour cherries from my freezer, but the fire companies here all sell fresh doughnuts today so I controlled myself.

Anna February 21, 2012 at 4:07 pm

Ha! Mine too. Then again, I’m more of a wine drinker.

Louise, thanks for the validation. I missed Cherry Pie Day too.

Gloria February 21, 2012 at 9:26 pm

Thanks for the forewarning! I didn’t know there was an official day to drink margaritas! I think this cake PLUS a margarita is the way to go! The icing recipe looks sinful!!!! I wonder how it would taste on brownies? I’ll bet good!

Sue February 21, 2012 at 10:07 pm

If I could afford to hop on a plane and meet you somewhere for margaritas it would be DONE! I could use one too. I just now (9:45 p.m.) took the strawberry layer cake out of the oven. One of my layers is uneven. :( I have a regular size oven and I guess I shouldn’t try three 9 inch layer cakes at a time?

Chewthefat February 22, 2012 at 12:15 pm

I made your cooked oatmeal muffins to kick off Lent (even though I don’t observe). This cake looks fabulous–although I’d probably be out for the night, if I had it with either a margarita or wine.

Linda February 22, 2012 at 7:39 pm

I made this for dessert tonight…sprinkled with orange jimmies for Syracuse basketball. Let’s go Orange! But, back to the cake… it’s got a beautiful texture, thanks to the beaten egg whites, and it’s nice and moist. While I had a bit of a heavy hand with the tequila in the frosting, it’s nicely balanced with the flavors in the cake and frosting.