Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream with Gingerbread Oreos

by on November 15, 2012 · 9 comments

This ice cream was the result of our finally finding the coveted Gingerbread Oreos. After taste testing them with the family, the goal was to chop them up and put them in something.  The ice cream was perfect!

Pumpkin Ice Cream

As for the limited edition Oreo flavors, you just never know where you’ll find them. I stumbled across the Lemon Oreos at H.E.B., found both the Candy Corn and Candy Cane Oreos at Target, then sought out the Gingerbread Oreos at Wal*Mart.

Gingerbread Oreos

It’s been fun trying all the flavors.  I liked the Candy Cane, Todd liked the Gingerbread, and so far Fuzz has been pretty unimpressed with all the flavors.  She’s been very enthusiastic in the quest to find them, though. Which brings me to one tip on spotting the gingerbread flavored cookies — the bag looks a lot the Golden Oreo bag, so be careful not to accidentally pass it up. We almost did.

Gingerbread Oreo Filling

As for the ice cream, if you like pumpkin, definitely try this recipe with or without the cookies    It’s interesting in that it is egg free and calls for a mixture of gelatin and powdered milk which prevent ice crystals.    It was very simple to pull together and made a ton – so much in fact that I couldn’t fit it all in my ice cream maker and had to do it in two batches.   But it was worth it and really good.

The full recipe for Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream is on Tablespoon.com.  I made it as written without any changes other than adding cookies.

Published on November 15, 2012

Erin November 15, 2012 at 8:08 am

Oh wow this is a great use for those Oreos. I need to make something with mine quick! Thanksgiving is coming up so fast!

Carolyn November 15, 2012 at 10:53 am

Oh, you’re killing me with all of these things we can’t get in Canada! Gingerbread is a favourite, and these cookies sound great. Guess I’ll just have to make my own homemade gingerbread oreos!

Purchased the Kindle version of your cookbook. Very nice, indeed!

Gloria November 15, 2012 at 1:35 pm

I’ve looked for the lemon to no avail. Maybe someone in Minnesota who reads your post can point the way to me? I would LOVE the gingerbread oreos dipped in ice cream or milk. Also want to tell you I just received my coveted copy of the Daily Cookie!
Thank you many times over!!! I even love the way it is embossed!!! I don’t use cookbooks much anymore since discovering the web, but I plan to change that!

Katrina November 15, 2012 at 2:19 pm

I can’t find the lemon Oreos either. Ice cream sounds great and perfect for the Gingerbread Oreos. My kids don’t like them as plain cookies, but they’ll eat just about any kind of ice cream.

Martha in KS November 15, 2012 at 5:16 pm

Thanks for sharing the Oreo flavors – I rarely buy cookies so I haven’t seen them. I’m curious about using only 1/2 tsp. of gelatin in a half gallon of ice cream. What do you think it does to the finished product? I want to make this just because it’s eggless.

Will you share your Thanksgiving menu with us?

Jenny November 15, 2012 at 9:01 pm

I noticed the ice cream has no added sugar. I don’t like things very sweet but that’s hard to believe. And that is how you made it?

Anna November 15, 2012 at 9:06 pm

Hi Jenny! There’s 1 1/8 cup of sugar. It’s right after the nonfat milk powder. However, right after you mentioned it I looked at the recipe and my eyes skipped right over the sugar, too. Maybe we were too busy processing the nonfat milk powder and the gelatin? I don’t know, but it’s there and I used the full amount. I didn’t find the ice cream too sweet at all.

Anna November 15, 2012 at 9:10 pm

Martha, I think the gelatin helps keep it smooth and soft. I’ll have to research that a little more, but I’ve used it in another ice cream recipe — the old Dairy Queen Ice Cream copycat.

Kim F. November 17, 2012 at 9:23 pm

I will be on the look out for those special Oreos. The ice cream looks amazing, too. We are pumpkin lovers at our house. Husband and son both request and get pumpkin pies for their birthdays instead of cake.