Frosty Fruit Bars are like fruit cake in cookie form. They’re not as boozy as the Candied Fruit and Bourbon Cookies, but they do have some rum in the glaze.
Frosty Fruit Bars
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 1/2 cups flour 11.2 oz
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup raisins or cranberries
- 1 cup mixed candied fruit
- ½ cup chopped toasted nuts
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar sifted
- 1 tablespoon melted butter I browned mine
- 1 tablespoon rum or Jack D
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line baking sheet with parchment or grease. In a large bowl, cream together shortening and sugar; add egg, orange zest, and juice. Mix well. Sift together flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Add to creamed ingredients. Stir in raisins, candied fruit and nuts. Divide dough in half. Shape each half into a strip roughly 7×12 (mine was more like 5×12) and bake for 12 minutes. Remove from oven; cool slightly, then frost with glaze while warm. Cut into strips.
- Glaze: Whisk together all ingredients until smooth. If you decide to brown the butter, your will need to add a little extra booze or a little water to get the right consistency. I did this in a saucepan. I doubled it. Not sure it was necessary, but I prefer having too much than too little glaze.
- Makes about 40, once you’ve eaten away the scraps.