If you want to bake a batch of cookies with butter flavored shortening, here's a recipe. These are cheap, quick oatmeal chip cookies with a great texture. The flavor is pretty good too, especially if you use half butter and half butter flavored shortening.
Cheap, Quick Oatmeal Chip Cookies
- ½ stick 8 tablespoons Butter Flavored Crisco (regular is okay)
- 1 cup granulated sugar (200 grams)
- 1 tablespoon molasses (20 grams)
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all purpose flour (140 grams)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup oats quick cooking or old fashioned, not instant
- 1 cup bittersweet chocolate chips or semi-sweet
- In a large mixing bowl, beat shortening and sugar with an electric mixer until creamy. Beat in molasses, egg and vanilla.
- Stir together flour, baking soda and salt. Add flour mixture to butter mixture and stir until incorporated. Stir in oats and chocolate chips.
- Chill dough for 1 hour for thicker cookies, or bake immediately. To bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Form dough into 1 ½ inch balls and arrange 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 12-13 minutes. Cool 5 minutes. Remove from sheet and cool on rack.