Oatmeal Peanut Butter Scotchies are from a contest sponsored by Mrs. Fields. I served them to the family and both my sister and mother-in-law gave them a big thumbs up! The cookies are very similar to King Arthur Monster Cookies, but smaller and with a butterscotch & pecan theme. Also, they do not contain any flour.
I used quick cooking (not instant – those are different) oats rather than “old fashioned”. Oat cookies made with quick cooking oats taste less health foodish, which is good if you’re serving them to children. Not that my child would care, because she’s inherited her father’s sick peanut butter aversion gene. Argh. Update: I’m pleased to say my daughter now loves peanut butter.
Oatmeal Peanut Butter Scotchies
- 4 tablespoon unsalted butter softened
- 1 cup peanut butter Jif, Skippy, Peter Pan – kind with sugar
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 3 cups quick cooking not instant! oats
- 1 1/3 cups butterscotch chips
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- With an electric mixer, beat the butter, peanut butter and both sugars until creamy. Add salt, vanilla, egg and baking soda and beat for about 30 seconds. Stir in oats, butterscotch chips and nuts.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls or smallish tablespoons onto a greased or parchment lined baking sheet. Bake 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes.
- Let cool on cookie sheet 5 minutes before removing to cooling rack.
- Makes about 40 cookies