If you like your chocolate chip cookies crunchy, here’s an excellent recipe adapted from The King Arthur Cookie Companion. For best results, weigh your ingredients. As easy as they are to make, even the smallest ratio changes can affect the texture of chocolate chip cookies.
Update: If you like miniature or smaller size crunchy chocolate chip cookies, check out the variation.
Crunchy Chocolate Chip Cookies -- Small Batch
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter unsalted, room temp (56 grams)
- 4 tablespoons shortening butter flavored or regular are okay (48 grams)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar very firmly packed -- mixture of light and dark (110 grams)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar 48 grams
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon apple cider or white vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lightly beaten egg
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup King Arthur all-purpose flour* 128 grams
- 1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chips
- Some toasted pecans handful, optional**
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Have ready an ungreased cookie sheet.
- With an electric mixer, beat the butter, shortening and both sugars until light and fluffy; Beat in vanilla, salt and vinegar, scrape sides of bowl and beat in egg. When egg is well mixed, add baking soda and beat so that it is well distributed; Stir in the flour, being careful not to over-beat. Stir in the chocolate chips and nuts (if using)
- Drop by tablespoonfuls onto the cookie sheets. Bake for 10-14 minutes. Let cool on cookie sheet for a couple of minutes then transfer to a rack to cool completely.