Small Batch Pistachio Pudding Dessert is based on a recipe I found while hunting for green and slightly garish St. Patrick’s Day treats. I didn’t get around to making it in March, but yesterday I stumbled across the recipe again while looking for cold, no-bake refrigerator desserts.
Baked Shortbread Crust
Small Batch Pistachio Dessert has a shortbread crust, so it’s “almost-but-not-quite” a no-bake dessert. And the shortbread crust comes together quickly. You can make it with granulated sugar, or use powdered sugar for a softer and easier to fork into crust. I’ve seen recipes for this type of dessert where there’s absolutely no sugar in the crust, but I prefer a little sweetness.
Loaf Pan Small Batch Pistachio Pudding Dessert
The recipe calls for a full box of pudding mix and makes one eight inch square pan that serves six. It freezes well so you may want to make the whole thing. However, if you’d like to halve the recipe and make an even smaller batch, it’s easy. To make Small Batch Pistachio Dessert in a loaf pan, just halve the shortbread ingredients and bake in an 8 1/2 by 4 1/2 or a 9×5 inch loaf pan. The bake time will be around 10 to 13 minutes. To halve a box of pudding mix, just weigh out half of the gram amount on the box! You’ll have half a box of pudding mix leftover for a pistachio flavored version of Chocolate Chip Pudding Cookies!
Small Batch Pistachio Pudding Dessert
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter softened
- 1/4 teaspoon salt omit if using regular butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons granulated sugar or 3 tablespoons powdered sugar for softer crust
- 3/4 cup flour
- 2/3 cup chopped toasted pecans
- 4 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 2 1/2 to 3 cups whipped topping or sweetened whipped cream
- 1 3.4 oz box instant pistachio pudding mix
- 1 1/4 cups cold milk
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray an 8 inch square glass baking dish with cooking spray (or grease it with shortening or butter).
- Beat together butter, salt and granulated sugar. Add flour and stir until almost blended, then stir in 1/3 cup of the pecans. Press evenly into the bottom of pan and bake for 13-15 minutes or until set. Cool completely.
- Beat together cream cheese, powdered sugar, and about 1 cup of the whipped cream. Spread this mixture over the cooled crust.
- Whisk pudding mix and milk together in a medium bowl for 2 minutes or until thickened. Spread pudding over cream cheese mixture. Spread remaining whipped cream over pudding mixture, then top with remaining nuts. Chill for 2-3 hours before serving.