Molten Chocolate Cookies is a recipe originally from the back of the Guittard Semisweet Chocolate Chips bag. Like the famous dessert, Molten Lava Cakes, Molten Chocolate Cooks have a soft filling and slightly crispy shell.
The original recipe for Molten Chocolate Cookies makes 16 giant cookies, but I typed it up as a half batch. These are very good. I'd be curious to see how some sort of flavored (chili, wasabi, hazelnut) chocolate works in the recipe as well. But as is, the cookies are delicious. Be careful not to overcook them or you may not get the fudge-like middle.
Chocolate For Molten Chocolate Cookies
I've made these several times since posting with different outcomes based on what types of chocolate were used. Using chopped chocolate almost always makes for a softer center, while using chocolate chips gives you a slightly stiffer filling. You'll get an even stiffer and less lava-like filling if you use a brand other than guittard. Guittard chips are creamier and more like chopped chocolate than some other brands.
Pay Attention to Bake Time
Bake time and oven temperature are both important as well. The ones in the old pictures were baked at 375 for 12 minutes, while the ones in the most recent (top) picture were baked for 10.
Molten Chocolate Cookies
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips 170 grams
- 1 ½ tablespoons butter unsalted (21 grams)
- 1 large egg 50 grams
- ¼ cup granulated sugar 50 grams
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup all purpose flour 63 grams
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and line a cookie sheet with parchment.
- Melt the chips and butter in a double boiler or heat proof bowl set over a saucepan of boiling water. You may also melt in microwave. Set aside and let cool slightly.
- Beat egg and sugar with an electric mixer. When light and fluffy, beat in salt and vanilla. Gradually beat in the slightly cooled chocolate.
- Stir the flour and baking powder together, then add to the egg mixture and stir until mixed.
- If your batter isn't thick enough to scoop, cover and chill for 20 to 30 minutes until it holds its shape when scooped.
- Scoop 8 rounded tablespoon size balls onto a lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes. Let cool on cookie sheet for about 3 minutes, then transfer to rack to cool.
- Best served warm. To reheat, microwave on high power 10 seconds per cookie.