Cranberry Bliss Cookies are chewy drop cookies inspired by Starbucks’ Cranberry Bliss Bars. They’re tasty, plus they’re a bit less work than the bars.
White Chocolate Cranberry Bliss Cookies
For the cookie version of the famous cranberry bars, I started with a really good white chocolate macadamia recipe, but cut out the macadamias, adjusted the salt, then added dried cranberries, ginger and pecans. The end result is a really flavorful cookie with an amazing texture. As for flavor, there’s there’s so much going on in the cookie! You’ll taste the butter, ground ginger, crystallized ginger, vanilla, cranberries and white chocolate.
I love crystallized ginger and think it adds a lot of character to the cookies. However, if you are not a ginger fan or can’t find the crystallized type, these cookies are actually very good without it. Just for fun, I made a second version where I cut out the ginger and used lightly salted roasted pistachios instead of pecans. Those were excellent too.
So here’s my easy one bowl recipe. The dough puffs up in the oven, then deflates upon cooling so you get a crispy edged cookie with lots of wrinkles and folds. They taste best when completely cool.
Cranberry Bliss Cookies
- 4 oz unsalted butter softened
- 1/2 cup regular vegetable shortening Crisco
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3/4 scant teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger optional
- 1 3/4 cup all purpose flour 7.8 oz
- 2/3 cup dried cranberries slightly chopped
- 1/2 cup pecans toasted and chopped
- 1/3 cup finely chopped crystallized ginger use more if you like
- 9 oz white chocolate chopped into very small chunks
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a couple of cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Beat butter, shortening and both sugars with an electric mixer until creamy. Add egg and vanilla and beat for about 30 seconds. Scrape sides of bowl and beat in salt and baking soda. If using, beat in ginger. Scrape sides of bowl again. Add flour and stir until it is almost mixed in, then stir in cranberries, pecans, white chocolate.
- Drop dough about 3 inches apart (these spread quite a bit) by tablespoonfuls onto cookie sheets. Bake for 12-14 minute or until edges are golden brown. Cool on cookie sheets for about 5 minutes, then transfer to wire racks.
- Makes about 30 cookies
- Variation: Cut out the ginger and crystallized ginger and change the pecans to pistachios.