If you’re looking for a new pumpkin muffin recipe, here’s one made with coconut oil, coconut palm sugar and whole wheat pastry flour.
I tried incorporating some true whole foods into the ingredient list, but having made multiple batches of these over the past few days, I can tell you that substitutes work pretty well. The muffin in the photo was made with organic cane sugar (evaporated cane juice crystals), while the one made with coconut palm sugar was darker and had more of a burnt caramel/coconut flavor to it.
If you’d rather just use an artificial sweetener like one of the Splenda blends, Fibrelle (if you can find it) or a Stevia based blend, I’m pretty sure any of those would work too. The only thing I haven’t tested yet is swapping out the two eggs for 2 tablespoons of ground flax and 6 tablespoons of water. That's next on the list, since I'll surely be making these again. I've actually been halving this recipe and making 3 muffins at a time.
Whole Wheat Pumpkin Muffins with Coconut Oil
- 4 tablespoons good quality coconut oil 60 grams
- ⅔ cups sugar evaporated cane juice crystals, or packed coconut palm sugar
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 7 ½ oz canned pumpkin 210 grams – not quite a cup
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ⅓ cups whole wheat pastry flour 160 grams
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Sliced almonds for topping optional
- Preheat oven to 375˚F. Line 6 muffin cups with paper liners.
- In a mixing bowl using an electric mixer, beat the coconut oil and whatever type sugar you’ve chosen until mixed. Add the eggs, pumpkin and vanilla and beat until smooth..
- Mix the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice and salt together into a medium bowl, then stir that mixture into the pumpkin mixture until blended.
- Divide batter between the 6 muffin cups (it should come up to the top and will be thick enough to heap on) and sprinkle tops with sliced almonds.
- Bake at 375 for 23-25 minutes. Allow muffins to cool in pan, then lift from pan.