If you’re not tired of cookies yet, here’s a great recipe. It doesn’t quite fall into the “healthy” category, but they’re wheat germ cookies so they have some value. Plus, these are really, really good tasting! They don’t look like much, but what I like about the cookies is that they are kind of thick, yet crunchy through and through. My only regret is that I baked up all the dough without adding any broken pretzels. These are crying for broken pretzels…at least, I think.
The wheat germ cookies are a lot like Oatmeal Scotchies, but a little thicker, crunchier, and have a hint of wheat flavor at the end. I made a half batch and am going to throw them in the freeze until I figure out what to do with them. A full batch will give you about 64 cookies.
Butterscotch, Pecan & Toasted Wheat Germ Cookies
- 2 sticks 8 ounces unsalted butter, room temperature (though salted would be fine)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar packed
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt plus an extra pinch if you like salt and are using unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups 6.8 ounces white whole wheat or all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
- 2 cups quick cooking oats not instant
- 1 cup toasted and chopped pecans
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups butterscotch morsels
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the butter until creamy. Add both sugars and continue beating until creamy. Beat in the vanilla. Add the eggs and beat until mixture is lighter in color and fluffier (about 2 minutes). Beat in the salt and baking soda. Using lowest speed of the mixer or by hand, stir in the flour. When flour is incorporated, stir in the wheat germ, oats, pecans and butterscotch morsels.
- Drop dough by rounded teaspoons, spacing about 2 1/2 inches apart, on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake cookies for 12-15 minutes (I liked them best at 15) or until nicely browned around the edges. Let cool on baking sheet for five minutes, then transfer to a rack to cool completely. Cookies should crisp as they cool. Makes about 64.