I’m always looking for ways to use up an open can of coconut milk, which is why I can’t believe I didn’t try this recipe sooner. It’s coconut ice cream made with coconut milk. And it is fantastic!
Unlike some coconut milk ice cream recipes, this one is not dairy free. It is, however, very simple and doesn’t require making a custard. You just mix the ingredients, pour them in an ice cream maker and let it go. The ice cream is very rich and creamy and has a good coconut/vanilla flavor. You could use coconut extract in place of the vanilla, but I felt like the coconut flavor from the coconut milk and coconut was just right and the vanilla (and dash of almond) enhanced the overall flavor.
- 1 cup (about 8 ounces) regular coconut milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/16 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/3 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together coconut milk, cream, sugar, extracts and coconut.
- Put the mixture in an ice cream maker and process as the manufacturer directs.
- Eat immediately or transfer ice cream to a 2 or 3 quart container and freeze until firm.
- This ice cream is fairly solid when frozen, so let it sit out for a few minutes or defrost in the microwave for a few seconds to soften.