While it’s usually associated with Mississippi, the Mud Pie is popular all over the US, and many cooks have a favorite version. This is mine. Technically it’s more of a frozen layered dessert than a pie so I call it Frozen Chocolate Mud Pie Dessert. It has an Oreo crust, a layer of coffee ice cream, an easy homemade chocolate sauce, and a topping of whipped cream and peanuts.
Rather than make it in a large pie dish, I make it in either a 9×13 or 8 inch square dish lined with plastic wrap so that I can lift it out and cut it into neat squares. I then wrap the squares in pairs and put them in freezer bags, so we’ll have ready-to-go pieces of ice cream cake!
If there’s caramel sauce in the kitchen, it gets used as garnish. Otherwise, Mud Pie is just fine without out it.
Frozen Chocolate Mud Pie Dessert
- 28 Oreos
- 4 tablespoons 56 grams of melted butter
- 6 tablespoons softened butter
- 1 cup 200 grams sugar
- 4 oz 114 grams semisweet chocolate, chopped
- Pinch of salt
- 5 oz can of evaporated milk
- 1 quart coffee flavored ice cream
- 1 cup heavy cream plus sugar to taste
- 1/4 cup caramel sauce optional
- Line a 9x13 inch glass dish with plastic wrap leaving a 6 inch overhang on each side. If halving the recipe, use an 8 inch dish.
- Crush 28 Oreos in a food processor, then add 4 tablespoons melted butter and pulse until crumbs are moistened. Press the cookie mixture into the bottom of the pan. Cover the crust with plastic wrap and freeze until firm (about 30 minutes).
- Meanwhile, make the sauce. In a medium saucepan combine 1 cup of sugar, 5 oz evaporated milk, 4 oz chopped semisweet chocolate and 6 tablespoons of chopped up softened butter. Cook over medium heat, stirring until chocolate is melted and mixture is thick. Let cool to room temperature.
- Soften the ice cream and spread it across the frozen crust. Return to the freezer and let ice cream harden. When ice cream is very firm, pour fudge sauce over and spread evenly. Return to freezer while you whip the cream.
- Whip 1 cup of heavy cream and sweeten with a couple tablespoons of powdered sugar (or 1 tablespoon granulated). Spread over chocolate sauce layer and garnish with peanuts. Keep frozen until ready to serve.
- When you are ready to serve it, grasp be the plastic wrap and lift from the dish. Set it on a cutting board and cut into squares. Add caramel sauce before serving if desired.