It’s hard to go wrong with pumpkin muffins, but some recipes are better than others. As far as vegan pumpkin muffins go, this one is very good — some say great. The texture is terrific, though I couldn’t resist adding blueberries to a few of the muffins and chocolate and caramel flavored chips to some of the others.
Also, the muffins aren’t too sweet. The original recipe from the old version of Vegan with a Vengeance calls for 1 1/4 cups of sugar (which in this case would be 1/2 cup and 2 tablespoons) but the vegan pumpkin muffins in Isa Chandra’s updated-with-even-more-awesomeness Vegan with a Vengeance calls for less. Both versions are probably good, with the updated one being a little more breakfast-friendly.
Small Batch Vegan Pumpkin Muffins
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour 110 grams
- 1/2 cup sugar 100 grams
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground or freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- tiny pinch cloves
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/4 cup almond milk or soy milk or whatever vegan milk you have
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease a 6 cup muffin tin or line with paper liners.
- Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and spices. Do this for about a minute so that everything is very well blended. Create a well in the center and add pumpkin, almond milk, oil, and molasses. Whisk those things together, then stir the liquid mixture into the flour mixture until everything is blended.
- Fill muffin cups two-thirds full and bake for 18 to 20 minutes, until a toothpick or knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- For the blueberry variation, add fresh blueberries to individual muffins as you pile the batter into the cups. For chocolate chip, add chocolate chips to batter or to individual muffins cups.
I’d vote for blueberries – those look SO good! For some reason, I don’t like chocolate in my pumpkin bread – weird, I know. It’s great to have a vegan recipe to reference as needed for friends! Happy baking!!!