I have a few recipes for chocolate chip cookies with malted milk powder and at least one recipe for chocolate chip cookies with Nutella, but this recipe combines everything! Originally from Chocolate Chip Cookies: Dozens of Recipes for Reinterpreted Flavors, Chocolate Malted Hazelnut Cookies are double chocolate cookies made with malted milk powder and Nutella.
Because the double chocolate comes from the chocolate Nutella rather than cocoa powder, it's a lighter double chocolate which doesn't overpower the malt. The cookies are beautiful with lots of ridges and cracks and crispy edges. The only caveat is they are on the sweet side and really do need the hazelnuts to balance things out. It might be possible to cut the sugar a bit, but then you'd lose the crispy/chewy texture. Or maybe I'm just being picky. If you try the cookies, let me know what you think.
Chocolate Malted Hazelnut Cookies
- 1 ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons unbleached all purpose flour 190 grams
- ¼ cup malted milk powder 30 grams
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 stick 114 grams unsalted butter, room temperature
- ¼ cup granulated sugar 50 grams
- ¾ cup plus 2 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar 175 grams
- ⅔ cup Nutella or any other chocolate hazelnut spread 195 grams
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup semisweet chocolate chips
- ⅔ cup toasted and chopped hazelnuts skins removed
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Have ready two rimmed baking sheets lined with parchment or if you prefer, just leave the sheets ungreased.
- Whisk together the flour, malted milk powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the butter and both sugars until creamy. Add the hazelnut chocolate spread and mix until combined. Add the egg and the vanilla and mix until blended. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a spatula, then add the flour mixture. Stir by hand or if using a mixer with with a good low power setting, do it with a mixer.
- Stir in the chocolate chips and hazelnuts .
- Using a rounded tablespoon or a medium size cookie scoop, scoop up balls of dough and arrange about 2 minutes apart on baking sheets.
- Bake in the oven for 13 minutes for a softer cookie, and 15 minutes for a crisper cookie. Remove from oven and let cool for about 3 minutes on the baking sheet. Transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling completely.