After posting the recipe for the Vegan Dark Chocolate Cookies made with almond meal and date paste, a new recipe showed up in my inbox – Vegan Double Chocolate Chip Cookies from One Green Planet. Unlike the almond meal cookies these can be made with pantry staples including all-purpose flour.
I made the cookies twice. First, I used the original version’s pastry flour/all-purpose mix along with some fancy Dutch process cocoa from King Arthur. The cookies spread quite a bit and were very thin, but they were delicious. I chilled the rest of the dough, baked them again the next day and they were much prettier. They did spread a little, but I tapped the edges inward and nudged them into circles while hot.
For the second round I used just all-purpose flour and natural cocoa from Aldi. Cookies were a tad thicker, but not by much. Still very tasty.
I should also mention that I made the first batch small (20 cookies per batch) and the second batch bigger (12 cookies per batch). I kind of like the smaller ones, but if you have a bakery or need bake sale cookies, the bigger ones might be better.
Here's the recipe as I made it.
Vegan Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 ½ sticks 170 grams Country Crock plant butter with almond or olive oil
- 1 scant cup granulated sugar 190 grams
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour 160 grams
- ⅓ cup 25 grams unsweetened cocoa powder, natural or Dutch
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup of chocolate chips that don’t have dairy
- ½ cup coarsely chopped walnuts or pecans
- ⅓ cup dried cherries optional
- Preheat the oven to 350°F Have ready two parchment lined baking sheets. If you plan to chill the dough don’t preheat.
- In a small bowl, mix together the flaxseed and water. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, beat plant butter and sugar until creamy. Add the flax egg and vanilla and stir until well mixed
- Gradually add the flour mixture and stir until combined, then add the chips, nuts and cherries (if using)
- With a medium cookie scoop, scoop out about 20 mounds of dough and space about 2 ½ inches apart on two baking sheets. Press down slightly. For larger cookies, use a large scoop and scoop out about 12 mounds of dough.
- Bake for about 10-12 minutes or until cookies appear set. Remove from oven. If the cookies have spread, tap in the edges a bit with the back of a spatula while the cookies are still hot. Set a few more chocolate chips on top of the hot cookies.