Classic Crunchy Chocolate Chip Cookies

by on November 6, 2005 · 8 comments

These cookies from King Arthur flour people are delicious. They’re supposed to be crunchy, though mine were only crunchy around the edges. I might try baking them on a non-insulated cookie sheet. I generally use insulated cookie sheets, but have noticed that cookies that are supposed to be crunchy are never quite crunchy enough when baked on insulated sheets.

Upate: I baked on a non-insulated cookie sheet and they came out crunchy.  Great recipe!

kaessentialcrispcookie.jpg

Classic Crunchy Chocolate Chip Cookies — Makes 54

1/2 cup butter, unsalted, room temp
1/2 cup shortening (regular or butter flavored)
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon apple cider or white vinegar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups flour, all purpose
3 cups semi-sweet chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment. Do not grease.  I found a dark cookie sheet (non-insulated) made for a crunchier  cookie.
Cream butter, shortening and both sugars until fluffy.  Beat in vanilla, salt and vinegar.
Beat in egg,  scraping sides of bowl and mixing well, then add baking soda and beat so that it is well distributed.  Stir in the flour. Stir in the chocolate chips.

Drop by tablespoonfuls onto the baking sheets. Bake for 10-14 minutes. Let cool on cookie sheet for a couple of minutes then transfer to a rack to cool completely.

Published on November 6, 2005

Joe November 6, 2005 at 5:26 pm

I think these are the ones I made a couple weeks ago – mine came out crunchy all over. Not sure what the difference was! I couldn’t really taste any vinegar, but from what I’ve read it is there to retard the development of gluten while mixing and cuts the sweetness. No idea myself!

Mozartkugel November 7, 2005 at 2:28 am

I think these are sold as “American Cookies” in Austrian supermarkets.

Anna November 7, 2005 at 7:45 am

Joe, I think I put a tiny little bit more egg in than I should have, that’s the only thing reason I can think of for them not being crunchy all over. Mozart, that’s pretty funny that they call them “American Cookies”. I am envisioning a cookie with red, white and blue chips. You probably know this,but Chocolate Chip Cookies were invented by an American woman named Ruth Wakefield who ran the Toll House in MA.

mozartkugel November 7, 2005 at 9:02 am

Anna, maybe because Austrian people loves to buy things from America, or with American names … ? I don’t mind about the names of the cookies, but the taste is not so bad … :-)

Randi November 7, 2005 at 11:30 am

Have you bought the new Martha Stewart Holiday baking magazine? It has some great looking cookie’s in there.

Emz August 7, 2006 at 1:14 am

Sorry for the late comment but I just tried this recipe and it is excellent! The outer edges are crispy and the inner circle is chewy. You don’t taste any vinegar at all! This is my kind of cookie :)

I stumbled upon your site this past week Anna and I love it! Thanks for posting numerous recipes, I can’t wait to try them all!

Emz August 7, 2006 at 1:16 am

I forgot to mention that the cookies (after a bit of cooling) do come out crunchy all over. I ate the cookie right after I took it out of the oven, hence my initial reaction. Sorry for misleading!

Anna August 7, 2006 at 7:46 am

Hi Emz,

Thanks for the review! Mine were a bit chewy in the center at first, then hardened up a bit.