Oat, Flax & Hemp Chocolate Chip Cookies

by on January 4, 2007 · 7 comments

I hope you are having a nice Wednesday. It is Wednesday, isn’t it? No, wait…it’s Thursday. I am losing track of the days. The holidays are over, school hasn’t yet begun, Fuzz is at daycamp. Things are kind of blah right now, so maybe that’s why I’m focusing on unusual ingredients. So here it is, the third new and !!exciting!! ingredient of the year, hemp seeds.

I bought a bag of these last weekend at Whole Foods and am sprinkling them on everything. They have a balanced ratio of Omega 3 fatty acids and since I don’t eat fish I am really happy to have found an alternative source of Omega 3s.

Now there are issues with heat. It says on the bag that heating the hemp nuts over 325 degrees destroys enzymes. Luckily, it is really not necessary to heat them. In fact, my favorite way to eat them is sprinkled over broccoli. But this is Cookie Madness, not Broccoli Madness, so here’s another way to use the hemp nuts. I don’t know the exact source of the recipe but I adapted my version from Vegweb. It makes fewer cookies (in case you hate them), includes some sugar (the original didn’t have any) and the cookies are baked at an enzyme preserving 325 degrees.

To be honest, I made these because I was bored and was 90% sure they would go in the trash. Thank goodness I was wrong. What’s odd, is they have kind of a banana flavor….must be the hemp.

hemp cookies.jpg

Oat, Flax & Hemp Chocolate Chip Cookies

3/4 cups rolled oats
3/4 cup barley flour
2 tablespoons granulated sugar, or for you true health nuts, evaporated cane juice crystals
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons golden flax seeds
2 tablespoons hemp seeds
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup maple syrup
2 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup chocolate chips, vegan
2-3 tablespoons chopped nuts (pecans)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.

In medium bowl mix together oats, barley flour, salt, baking soda, flax and hemp seeds.

In a smaller bowl, combine the oil, maple syrup, water and vanilla extract. Add liquid mixture to dry mixture and stir only until thoroughly mixed.

Shape into 12 mounds (about an inch in size) on a parchment lined cookie sheet. Bake for 20-22 minutes. let cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes then move to rack to fully cool.

15 cookies

Published on January 4, 2007

Lindsay January 4, 2007 at 2:03 pm

This post reminded me of something I’ve been meaning to ask…do you by any chance have a Great Harvest Bread Company? They make the most amazing whole grain cookies I’ve ever tasted, and I can’t figure out how to duplicate them! They are divine…

tori January 4, 2007 at 3:21 pm

I always taste flax as a banana flavor. Could that be it?

Anna January 4, 2007 at 4:25 pm

Tori, I’ll bet you are right. It’s probably the banana. Good call.

Lindsay, we have a Great Harvest, but it’s kind of far from my house so I don’t get over there much. In fact, I once met a lady in a bar who worked for Great Harvest. She gave me a bunch of free coupons and I STILL never made it over there. However, I do have a copy cat recipe for their chocolate chip cookies. I’ve made these before and remember them as being good. How close they are to Great Harvest, I do not know.

Great Harvest Chocolate Chip Cookies

2 cups whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups brown sugar, packed
1 cup butter
2 cups rolled oats
2 eggs
2 tablespoons molasses
1 tablespoon milk
12 ounces semisweet chocolate chips

Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
Beat together brown sugar and butter until well combined. Add oats, eggs, molasses and milk; beat well. Add dry ingredients to beaten mixture; beat until blended. Stir in chocolate chips.
Using a 1/4 cup measuring cup, scoop dough and drop about 3 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake at 350 F for 12 to 13 minutes, until just starting to brown around the outside. Cool 2 minutes on cookie sheets. Remove and cool on racks.

Makes 24 very large cookies

Lindsay January 4, 2007 at 5:09 pm

Thank you Anna! I knew it was all brown sugar, but was missing the molasses. They make a variation of this called the Mountain Munchy which includes coconut and pecans which is delicious. I’ll give this one a try!

HomesickTexan January 7, 2007 at 4:12 pm

Hemp tastes like bananas, who knew? I always think flax tastes fishy (maybe it’s the Omega 3s).

Anna January 7, 2007 at 4:59 pm

I’m still not sure whether it’s the hemp or the golden flax that tastes like bananas.

Which reminds me. A friend emailed me to say she read that unless you grind the flax, you don’t get any of the nutritional benefits. Neither of us is really sure this is true, but I’m going to start grinding my flax anyway.

Karen January 8, 2007 at 3:28 pm

Well, bananas are the only food I’m allergic to. I bought some flax recently; I’ll have to see how it tastes.
Haven’t seen hemp around here yet, except in a spool at the hardware store. Sounds interesting…