Dr. Pepper Chocolate Layer Cake

by on February 18, 2007 · 19 comments

This month Food and Wine has a feature story on Liz and Lou Lambert, two Austinites who have made the city a little more stylish. Liz is a lawyer turned hotelier whose Hotel San Jose has become quite popular with the SXSW set. Her brother Lou is known for his culinary talents. His old restaurant, Lambert’s, was my personal favorite, so when he shut it down and moved to San Antonio, I was pretty sad. Luckily, Lou has returned to Austin and re-opened Lambert’s as a barbecue restaurant — upscale Texas barbecue favorites with a twist.

The new Lambert’s is in the ever-growing Second Street district where they are building shops, condos and even a W Hotel. It’s a more adult version of Sixth Street, so keep this in mind if you are over twenty and want to have a good time in downtown Austin. Hey, check out our City Hall while you are there. Here’s a photo. As you see, they put a guitar in front of it to remind people that Austin is the live music capitol of the world.

lambertscityhall.jpg

Lambert’s is across the street, and I am sorry but I didn’t take a photo of it. It is very small, so you’ll need to make a reservation about a week in advance. The interior is interesting because it manages to be both sleek and “barbecue joint” rustic at the same time. There is a long banquette along the wall, and a few booths for large parties. I liked everything about the atmosphere except the noise level, which made it kind of hard to talk. If you are good at reading lips, this shouldn’t be a problem.

The appetizer list included spicy deviled eggs, chickpeas with goat cheese, clams, For entrees, you can choose something from the “smoked” side such as smoked achiote chicken breast or prime rib or you can go with something grilled, such as Berkshire pork chops. If you want to look at the menu, it’s here. We didn’t order enough different/exciting things to make a decent overall assessment on the food, but the dishes we ordered (grilled steak/achiote chicken) were cooked properly and I have no complaints. What I’m leading up to is dessert – the Dr. Pepper Cake.

If I ran a barbecue restaurant, I would copy Lou and put a Dr. Pepper cake on the menu for sure. The theme was brilliant. My only complaint was the cake itself. It was a little dry and unlike traditional ooey gooey Dr. Pepper cakes, did not have a frosting. Instead, it was served with ice cream and chocolate sauce. Here’s a photo. I usually don’t pull my camera out at restaurants, but since everyone else doing it, I figured why not…..

lambertscake.jpg

The old Lambert’s served the benchmark of all great buttermilk chocolate cakes, so this new cake was kind of a disappointment. But to its credit, it inspired me to go home and bake a Dr. Pepper cake of my own. The recipe below was adapted from a recipe on Texas Cooking. The changes I made were adding salt, swapping out some of the oil for butter and changing the icing completely. I actually tried the icing from that site, but didn’t like it and threw it out. The one I used is kind of neat because it doesn’t involve powdered sugar. I believe it originated in Good Housekeeping. I upped the chocolate a bit, but that’s about it.

Here’s what my cake looked like. I put the can of Dr. Pepper in the photo because I thought it was cute. It looks like the Dr. Pepper is trying to have a conversation with the cake and the cake is ignoring it.

lambertscakeforblog3.jpg

Dr Pepper Chocolate Layer Cake

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (natural)
1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon (scant) salt (Morton Kosher)
1 cup Dr Pepper (not Diet)
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
8 tablespoons butter, softened, cut up
2 large eggs
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup canola oil
1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Frosting (see below)

Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray two shiny 9-inch cake pans with Pam for Baking flour added cooking spray or grease and flour using your favorite method.

Sift together the flour, sugar, dark brown sugar, cocoa powder and baking soda; stir in the salt. Set aside.

Heat the Dr Pepper in a small saucepan over medium. When it starts to bubble, reduce heat to low, add the chocolate chips and stir until melted. Turn off the heat and stir in the butter. Set aside to cool for about 8 to 10 minutes.

With an electric mixer, beat the eggs, buttermilk, oil and vanilla for 2 minutes. At lowest speed, slowly add the Dr Pepper mixture and beat for 1 additional minute. Gradually add the dry ingredients (flour mixture), and beat until smooth by hand or using medium to low speed of mixer.

Divide the batter evenly between the prepared pans, and bake for 30 to 38 (mine took 38) minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool in pans for 15 minutes, then invert onto cooling racks, lift off pans and allow to cool completely before frosting. The frosting requires cooling time, so you may want to get started on that right away.

Silky Chocolate Butter Frosting:

3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup all purpose flour
3 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa
1 cup milk
1 cup butter (2 sticks, salted or unsalted plus ½ teaspoon salt)
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
6 oz bittersweet chocolate, melted and cooled — you can do this in microwave or over bowl set over simmering water

Off the heat, combine the sugar, flour and cocoa in a small saucepan. Gradually add milk and whisk until smooth.

Put the mixture over medium heat and cook, whisking constantly, until mixture thickens and boils. Reduce heat to low, cook 2 minutes, whisking all the while. Remove saucepan from heat; cool completely. This cooling period should take 40 minutes to an hour.

In a large bowl with mixer at medium speed, beat softened butter until creamy. Gradually beat in cooled milk mixture, vanilla and melted chocolate. Note: If you do all the steps above and get a gooey mess, it’s probably because something was too warm. I’ve done this a couple of times in the past and the fix is to beat in the chocolate as directed, but put bowl in refrigerator for 30-40 minutes to chill. The chilled mixture will whip up into a delicious, silky frosting.

Published on February 18, 2007

carole February 18, 2007 at 9:41 pm

Never, never use any kind of diet soft drink in any type of cooking or baking.

The sweetening agent (whatever it might be) can become bitter when heated.

Amy February 18, 2007 at 9:54 pm

Chocolate cake is my fave dessert. That looks really good. Is Lambert’s close to Jo’s? We went there after the children’s museum a couple weeks ago. 2nd St. is becoming the hip spot to be!
Amy (Bunco) :)

Claire February 19, 2007 at 9:53 am

Okay, my dad loves Dr. Pepper and chocolate cake is his favorite. maybe next time I see him, I’ll have to make this cake for a belated birthday cake!

Kristin W February 19, 2007 at 1:06 pm

Liz also owns the Thunderbird Motel in Marfa, TX, which is one of my absolute favorite places in the entire world. I haven’t actually stayed at Thunderbird, though, because when I went I was seriously treating myself and stayed at the Cibolo Creek Ranch — http://www.cibolocreekranch.com — where I would like to retire and live for the rest of my life. Like, right now.

Brenda February 19, 2007 at 1:22 pm

I love Dr Pepper and always wondered if there was a Dr Pepper cake (since there are a million Coke cake recipes). I’ll have to try this one! Have you ever had a Dr Pepper made at the plant in Dublin? They come in the orginal bottles. Super sweet but good! I have one in my fridge I could make this cake with..hmmmm.
Kristina W…I see you like to visit my part of Texas. I love the Davis Mountain area. I grew up in Pecos.

Anna February 20, 2007 at 8:24 am

Sorry I’m slow in responding to comments. I was sick all day yesterday.

Kristin, I’ve never been to Marfa, but the Cibolo Creek Ranch is making me want to go.

Brenda, I haven’t ever had the Dublin Dr. Pepper. I don’t know if I’d waste a fancy Dr. Pepper on this cake because the Dr. Pepper flavor is very subtle.

bethmckee1 March 12, 2007 at 9:44 am

Wow I made this cake for a family birthday with about 40 people. They loved this cake. It was moist, chocolately, and delicious. I had a great time making it and frosting it was evem more fun. That frosting was luscious!

brownie April 18, 2008 at 11:59 am

omg i love chocolate, you guys should make me a big chocolate cake for my birthday.

Anna April 18, 2008 at 12:02 pm

Happy Birthday!

Dara June 15, 2008 at 6:20 pm

Made it for Father’s Day, and it received rave reviews all around. The only change I made was using dark cocoa. Thank you!

lisa September 26, 2008 at 3:08 pm

I love chocolate to I could eat chocolate all day could you?

Manda March 10, 2009 at 6:40 am

Would Diet Dr. Pepper work? I’ve seen the first post stating no but then I scan some other recipes that state its just fine.

I would like to know before I ruin a recipe or simply just make a test cake I suppose.

Anna March 10, 2009 at 7:10 am

Hi Manda,

I love diet soda but I don’t bake with it. The calorie savings is only about 10 calories a slice and you risk adding bitter aftertaste to the cake. I bake with Splenda every so often for people who need it or if I’m trying to make something super low calorie, but some recipes work better than others. I do like Nutrasweet, but never bake with it because it can break down. The thought of heat-broken Nutrasweet bugs me. It might be perfectly fine, but I’ve drinken too many yucky heat-ruined Diet Cokes to know that heat really does something to it and that it doesn’t feel right.

Manda March 10, 2009 at 10:18 am

Well the reason why I’m inquiring is that I have this giant liter of Diet Dr. Pepper and thought I could use it this way; however if it’ll ruin the recipe, I won’t use it.

Anna March 10, 2009 at 11:29 am

Manda, sorry. I just wouldn’t use it, but I know how you feel about wanting to get rid of stuff or use things up. I like Diet Dr. Pepper. I would just drink it ;).

Manda March 10, 2009 at 11:39 am

Haha, I guess that’s what I would have to resort to!

Thanks a lot Anna~

Patti September 14, 2009 at 6:47 pm

I LOVE to bake/cook and I’m just now discovering Dr. Pepper? Where have I been all these years (lots of them too)??? While doing the usual running around the house cleaning, cooking etc …I grabbed a dark chocolate Dove and popped it in my mouth then took a quick slerp of a Dr. Pepper. OMG if this is heaven I’m ready to go. It got me thinking that there must be a zillion recipes combining chocolate and Dr. Pepper. I have a new mission in life and it all centers around chocolate and Dr. Pepper :) wish me luck!

Lindsey Kay June 9, 2010 at 12:39 pm

I am going to try this with Dandelion and Burdock instead of Dr.Pepper!

Anna June 9, 2010 at 4:52 pm

Wow, that sounds like an interesting combination.