Vanilla Fudge — Scottish

by on March 20, 2007 · 14 comments

I’m back in the kitchen today and have made my first batch of vanilla fudge. It’s not exactly the same as EAT’s, but it’s close.

After noticing the EAT fudge was made in Scotland and doing a little research, I came to the conclusion that the EAT fudge was modeled after something called Helensburgh Toffee. The recipe for Helensburgh toffee was very similar to a cooks.com recipe, but halved and with a higher ratio of sugar to syrup. It also used Golden syrup, which is an ingredient in EAT’s.

This makes a small batch, so if you mess it up you haven’t wasted much money. It does take some time, though. It took a full twenty minutes of standing and gently stirring.

Make sure you keep you heat on low to medium low. If the mercury stops rising on your thermometer, up the heat a tiny bit.

Here are some photos to guide you along. First off, the ingredients. The butter is already in the pan, so it’s not pictured. Quick dissolving sugar usually comes in a canister of some sort. Golden Syrup comes in a tin or a glass jar and has a lion on it.

vf1.jpg

Here’s what it looks like when it first gets warm. Little flecks appear.

vf2.jpg

And after about 12 minutes, it gets darker, but it’s not quite 245 yet.

vf3.jpg

Here it is, after being stirred, turned into the pan and set. I used Release foil. If you are using regular foil, make sure to grease it with something. Parchment is fine too.

vf4.jpg

Cut fudge.

vf5.jpg

Now I need to pack it up.

Scottish Vanilla Fudge

1/4 cup salted butter (4 tablespoons)
1/4 c. golden syrup or a combination of half golden syrup/half white syrup
1 1/2 c. quick dissolving sugar
7 oz (1/2 of a standard 14 oz can) condensed milk
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

Line a 9×5 loaf pan with parchment or Release foil.

Melt butter over medium-low heat. Add golden syrup, sugar and condensed milk. Cook, stirring gently, over medium-low heat to 245 degrees F. Remove from heat, add vanilla and beat with a wooden spoon for 1 minute. Dump into lined pan and let cool. Lift from pan and cut into squares.

Note: If you have a scale, it’s a good idea to weigh out your condensed milk rather than just eyeball it.

Published on March 20, 2007

Janet March 20, 2007 at 1:20 pm

Oh my gosh!!! That looks really good and I want to make it!!! You are something….just back from a big trip and already in the kitchen whipping up stuff to inspire and tempt us!!! Thanks!!!!

tori March 21, 2007 at 1:24 pm

Yum! That looks delicious! If only you could come over and make it for me since I don’t know if I have the patience or time today.

tori March 21, 2007 at 1:24 pm

Janet March 21, 2007 at 3:16 pm

That looked soooo good I just had to go right out and buy all the stuff I needed to make it. Found Golden Syrup and superfine sugar at Fresh Market (BiLo didn’t have either) I can hardly wait until I can make it—after dinner or tomorrow morning.

Anna March 21, 2007 at 8:30 pm

Janet, let me know how yours turns out. Fudge can be hit or miss. The key with this recipe was to keep the heat low but steadily rising. I gave some to my neighbor. He didn’t eat it right away, but I talked to his wife later who said he told HER that he loved it. A second hand review is better than a first because that means he liked it enough to tell her rather than feeling obligated to just tell me it was good since I was in his face with the stuff.

Tori, it would be nice if you lived next door. We could swap food and kids.

Anna March 21, 2007 at 8:30 pm

Tori, it would be nice if you lived next door. We could swap food and kids.

Janet March 22, 2007 at 7:22 am

Anna, I will let you know today how it comes out…I can hardly wait to make it! Thanks again for all the tips and pics…it really helps to see what it should look like1 I think my friend who is living in Germany will also be making it today!

Janet March 22, 2007 at 9:33 am

I made it!!! Your instructions were so good and helpful, how could I miss? I don’t know if I can give any away though…it’s so darn good! Thanks again!

Janet March 22, 2007 at 9:41 am

Oops, forgot to ask, does the fudge need to be refrigerated? Thanks, j

Anna March 22, 2007 at 11:27 am

Oh good! I always worry about candy…..it’s not easy to make. Fudge is especially tricky. I haven’t been refrigerating mine. I guess you could keep it in the refrigerator if you wanted to, but I recommend just putting it in a tin at room temperature. It should be a little better tomorrow. Hopefully, the German version will work out. I guess she’ll be using European butter, which might make a difference.

ashley January 11, 2009 at 4:04 pm

i’ve made 2 attempts at this today but they seem to come out too gooey. i cant make bars. the recipe seems very similar to tablet which is my husbands favorite from his childhood in scotland, any thoughts on why mine is gooey? how long should i be cooking it before i take it off the heat and add the vanilla? thanks for the recipe!

Janinne Franke October 5, 2011 at 5:15 pm

Tried this last night and confirm it is the best vanilla fudge recipe I have made – no marshmallow, no nuts and no chocolate – just fudge the way God indtended it to be.

mary-laure January 31, 2012 at 4:40 am

Hello!
not easy when you’re french and live in france. I mean, what kind of cup? what size of cup ? Golden syrup is not available here, so what should we use? and then how much of it as tin or box are not the same size ?
Big issues !

mary-laure January 31, 2012 at 7:24 am

Thank you for your answer Anna ! I received it on my email and that’s really sweet of you to answer so quickly ! I’ll tell you about my “French” fudge.
Thanks for your help!