Orange Creme Dessert

by on June 28, 2007 · 7 comments

After watching last night’s episode of Top Chef and seeing the contestants squirm at having to deal with American family favorites, I’m almost embarrassed to post this. Ha ha. Just kidding! Frankly, I think (some of) the Elks Lodge diners would thoroughly enjoy it. It’s not a recipe you’d find in the Whole Foods cookbook, but it is in the Twinkies cookbook and if you are feeling old and/or insecure, one bite will bring back memories of your mom giving you St. Joseph’s baby aspirin….but without the illness and medicine taste.

creamsicle twinkies.jpg

Still reading? Okay good. Like I said, it’s not healthy, but if you are on a diet and need something low in fat and sugar, this can easily be modified. For the base, use Ladyfingers or low fat snack cakes. For the Jell-O products, go with the sugar free varieties, use low fat milk, fat free vanilla creamer and Cool Whip Lite. If you don’t need such a large yield, you can also make this in an 8x8x2 inch square dish. You’ll only need 5 Twinkies and you won’t need all the filling, though I recommend making the full amount and pouring what you want over the Twinkies.

So that’s today’s orange and slightly retro dessert. If you served it to me at a hotel, I’d check out. But if you served it to me at a tailgate or a picnic, I’d ask for the recipe. Let me know if you try it.

creamsicle on plate.jpg

Orange Creme Dessert

10 Twinkies, halved lengthwise
(15 oz can of mandarin oranges – optional)*
1 3-oz package orange Jell-O
1/2 cup boiling water
1 3.4 oz package instant vanilla pudding (or French)
1 1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup French vanilla liquid coffee creamer
1 (12 oz) container non-dairy whipped topping, such as Cool Whip (big tub)

Arrange the Twinkies cut side up in a 13×9 inch baking dish. If using, lay some drained mandarin oranges over Twinkies.

In a bowl, stir together the Jell-O and boiling water. When Jell-O is dissolved, put the mixture in the refrigerator to cool for 10 minutes. To hasten the process, drop in an ice cube – the extra liquid won’t hurt anything.

In a large bowl, beat together the pudding mix, milk and coffee creamer for 2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Add the orange Jell-O/water mixture to the pudding mixture and stir until smooth. Fold in two-thirds of the whipped topping. Spread the orange mixture (pour it, smooth it) over the cut Twinkies.

Cover with plastic wrap and chill for 6-8 hours. Before serving, spread the remaining whipped topping over the top. Decorate thematically.

*Try another fruit!

Published on June 28, 2007

Claire June 28, 2007 at 12:48 pm

Yum…you know, I bet this would be good frozen, too.

Debbi June 28, 2007 at 1:16 pm

This looks way cool. I want to serve this at my next party just to see how many people raise their eyebrows at me!

Anna June 28, 2007 at 1:34 pm

Amela, I worry that talking about it is a jinx. There’s a lot of secrecy involved, but I do love entering recipe contests and observing them. I wish I was into something a little less competitive and uncertain…..like scrapbooking.

Claire, I took this to my next door neighbor for critique. She loved it. Her only comment was that it would be nice if it was a little firmer. We both thought freezing might help. It’s kind of a fun dessert to monkey around with. Hey, how about a banana version? Plain gelatin dissolved in 1/4 cup water plus banana flavored pudding. Just thought of that when I said monkey.

Debbi, it’s interesting to see who raises their eyebrows over Orange Creme Dessert. In my circle of friends, people just say yum. I think even a purist could appreciate this because it’s so creamsicle/retro tasting….one has to take it at face value.

Anj June 28, 2007 at 5:53 pm

You made me laugh out loud with the reference to St. Joseph Baby Aspirin — I have flashbacks when I taste creamy orangy stuff. This looks nice and cool for a summer day though.

LisaE June 28, 2007 at 6:02 pm

Yum, this is really bringing back fond memories of the Creamsicle, which I haven’t had since I was a kid. Anna, you may already know about this but there’s an Italian flavoring sold through King Arthur Flour called Flori di Silicia, which is a combo of orange and vanilla. I’ve used it to flavor things like chocolate pudding and it’s really good.

bethmckee1 July 6, 2007 at 3:11 pm

Anna,
Made this for 4th of July BBQ. My husband was beyond happy. He loves twinkies and anything creamsicle! Most people who grew up eating and loving twinkies seem to just love this. It was a hit for this particular crowd. I also made one of the brownie recipes from your site. Best ever choc. brownies I think they were called. They were nice and fudgey. They were also a hit. I love the site and know I can always count on something delicious to come from the recipes.

Joanna June 27, 2008 at 1:18 pm

I made this a few days ago and I’m the only one in my house who likes it. My main problem was that I used vanilla ice cream instead of cool whip because I obviously can’t read a recipe. haha I added marshmallows to the orange cream part though, but I think I just need to make this dessert the right way!