Orange Creme Dessert is one of my older recipes which is also in The Twinkies Cookbook. Not only is it a great excuse to buy Twinkies (see if they’re still as good as you remember), but a great way to please any family or friends who happen to love the flavor of Orange Creamsicle. I really want to make it again, but the only person in my family who loves this flavor is thousands of miles away, so you’ll have to settle for these pictures.
Orange Creme Dessert Modifications
If you need to modify the fat content a bit, you can use Ladyfingers instead of Twinkies and, sugar free Jell-O product and light whipped topping. Good health in a dish, right? Speaking of which, you might want to make a half version in an 8 inch square dish. If this is the case, you’ll only need 5 Twinkies and you won’t need all the filling, though I recommend making the full amount and pouring what you want over the Twinkies. So that’s today’s orange and slightly retro dessert. If you served it to me at a hotel, I’d check out. But if you served it to me at a tailgate or a picnic, I’d ask for the recipe. Let me know if you try it.
Orange Creme Dessert
- 10 Twinkies halved lengthwise
- 15 oz can of mandarin oranges – optional*
- 1 3- oz package orange Jell-O
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1 3.4 oz package instant vanilla pudding or French
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup French vanilla liquid coffee creamer
- 1 12 oz container non-dairy whipped topping, such as Cool Whip (big tub)
- Arrange the Twinkies cut side up in a 13×9 inch baking dish.
- If using, lay some drained mandarin oranges over Twinkies.
- In a bowl, stir together the Jell-O and boiling water. When Jell-O is dissolved, put the mixture in the refrigerator to cool for 10 minutes. To hasten the process, drop in an ice cube – the extra liquid won't hurt anything.
- In a large bowl, beat together the pudding mix, milk and coffee creamer for 2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Add the orange Jell-O/water mixture to the pudding mixture and stir until smooth.
- Fold in two-thirds of the whipped topping. Spread the orange mixture (pour it, smooth it) over the cut Twinkies. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for 6-8 hours. Before serving, spread the remaining whipped topping over the top. Decorate thematically. *Try another fruit!