Ina’s Macaroons

by on March 19, 2008 · 10 comments

I’m not a huge fan of macaroons, but there’s always someone in the crowd who loves them and with Passover and Easter coming up, it seemed like a good idea to pull out the coconut. After looking through a bunch of recipes, I picked this one from Ina Garten. Reviewers, even those who didn’t love coconut, gave these cookies high ratings.  I can see why. The condensed milk gives the cookies a flavor similar to dulce de leche and rather than a blast of coconut, you get a sugar, burnt sugar & milk flavor. I can’t stop eating them.

Maybe I should just eat lunch now…..it’s 10:41 AM.

Macaroons

Published on March 19, 2008

Christy March 19, 2008 at 9:48 am
Anna March 19, 2008 at 9:55 am

That is cute, but now I’m hungry for pancakes. Mmmmmmmm. Pancakes. Actually, I think I’m going to just eat a Hot Pocket.

Lisa Ernst March 19, 2008 at 10:02 am

I haven’t made macaroons in years. These look good. I’d love to try them dipped in dark chocolate!

Angie March 19, 2008 at 11:02 am

These are the only macaroons I make, I saw the show wheen she made them and I fell in love. They are so moist and delicious and EASY!!!! You can not fail when you make these. If you keep them for more than a couple of days they get really sticky but not many last that long anyway. I always have the ingredients on hand and I keep a bag of coconut in the freezer all of the time. You can whip them up as a last minute dessert if you have company coming.I also make her brownies and pecan bars…both to die for!

Stephanie March 19, 2008 at 12:05 pm

Wow! I, too, LOVE Ina’s macaroons. I’ve been making them for a few years now, sometimes I drizzle them with dark chocolate, sometimes dip the bottoms in dark chocolate, and sometimes just leave them plain. Any way you make them, they are awesome! As Angie said, they do get sticky after a few days, but I believe mine only lasted that long once or twice.
:-)

Also as Angie mentioned, Ina’s outrageous brownies and pecan bars are fantastic. I did have quite a mishap with my oven and the boiling over of pecan bars, but now I put a foil pan to catch the drippings. They are a bit $$$ to make, but everyone went ga-ga over them. :-)

Janis March 19, 2008 at 12:33 pm

At Easter, you can make these shaped like a nest and after the macaroon nests are cooled, line the nest with a little chocolate and nestle a couple of jelly beans or chocolate eggs in the nest!
This is what they look like

Chris C-L March 20, 2008 at 2:18 pm

The panfried onion dip that is linked at the bottom of the macaroon recipe is tasty, yummy good!

Tai May 14, 2008 at 10:14 pm

If you add chunks of white chocolate to these they’re even better. It adds a gooey goodness factor that you don’t even know is missing.

judy May 4, 2009 at 8:46 am

These macaroons are great. My only suggestion is to definitely use parchment paper. I tried not using it and it was a struggle to get them off baking sheet and still look good.

Chrissa May 8, 2009 at 7:47 pm