Peanut Butter & Chipotle Cookies — Thumbs Up!

by on August 12, 2008 · 21 comments

Putting chipotle with peanut butter is not a new idea, but I’d never seen a chipotle & peanut butter flavored cookie, so I decided to make a quick batch last night using my very favorite peanut butter cookie recipe as a base. The results were fantastic and maybe even a little addictive for those of us who like heat.

With these cookies, the kick of chipotle doesn’t come until the end. It starts with a mild but pleasant burning and leaves in a trail of smoke…..or smoky taste, that is. I absolutely loved the cookies, and in an attempt to make them even more interesting, I added some white chips. The white chips are great, but you could stick with peanut butter chips if you like.

Definitely try these! If you are unsure or don’t quite trust me, you can make a batch of the dough, take out a fraction of it (say, a quarter) and add 1/8 teaspoon of chipotle to that section of dough. If you don’t like it, you won’t have wasted much dough. If you do like it, you might find it addicting.

chipotle cookies

Peanut Butter & Chipotle Cookies

1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup dark brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 cup peanut butter, smooth or chunky
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups sifted flour (6 oz) – (You can skip sifting if you weigh the flour)
1/2 cup Ghirardelli white chips (or just use peanut butter chips)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Have ready an ungreased cookie sheet – preferably uninsulated.

Cream the butter and both sugars. Beat in the peanut butter and egg; Scrape sides of bowl and beat in the chipotle, salt, baking soda and vanilla. When well blended, add flour and stir until it is blended. Stir in the chips.

Shape dough into 1-inch balls and place on cookie sheets about 2-inches apart. Flatten balls with a fork making crisscross patterns; Bake for 10-12 minutes or until slightly browned around the edges.
3 ½ to 4 dozen

Published on August 12, 2008

VeggieGirl August 12, 2008 at 10:34 am

Oooh, two thumbs up for that cookie variety, for sure!!

Dana August 12, 2008 at 11:24 am

These sound amazing! Chipotle is one of my favorite things these days, so these are right up my alley. I bought some chili chocolate that I have been thinking about using in a cookie/bar/something…

Did you ever get around to making the one-bowl ccc the other day?

Anna August 12, 2008 at 12:11 pm

Dana, I SHOULD have made that recipe, but instead I’ve been experimenting with my own ideas and none of them (not counting the peanut butter chipotle cookies) are working out.

Therese B. August 12, 2008 at 12:32 pm

Hi Anna!

Yum….I love anything with peanut butter as the main ingredient!

I had to tell you that I made the epicurious recipe/mascarpone brownies that you posted a while back….oh man…are those GREAT!!!

I still have half of the container of mascarpone cheese….do you have any other recipes that would use that as one of the ingredients?

Have a great trip…enjoy..enjoy…enjoy!!!

Clumbsy Cookie August 12, 2008 at 12:33 pm

I’ll sure love these! I love that peanut butter cookie recipe (need to make it again) and I like a bit of heat, so I just know these are for me! The other day I’ve added chili to a chocolate chocolate chip cookie (the NY Times but with chocolate) and they were very good!

Katrina August 12, 2008 at 12:49 pm

Therese B., Clumbsy Cookie didn’t tell you she just made some killer looking “Oreomisu” using marscapone cheese. Check it out on her site.

Anna, Yum! I haven’t tried “spicy” in cookies and have been loving PB cookies lately, I’ll take your suggestion and just try some of the dough with a bit of chipotle next time I make pb’s.

Jill - GlossyVeneer August 12, 2008 at 2:55 pm

My mother-in-law just sent me a bottle of Chipotle chili powder from New Mexico for my birthday yesterday. I should try this.

dawn August 12, 2008 at 2:58 pm

I think this is such a good idea. I bet it does taste good. Awesome.

Cathy - wheresmydamnanswer August 12, 2008 at 3:59 pm

That is one that I would not have thought of – But now that you suggest it – Looks really great;)

Debbi August 12, 2008 at 4:32 pm

I am so making these. Does the white chocolate add a lot do you think? I think it sounds wonderful but you sounded kinda indifferent about it.

Megan August 12, 2008 at 5:14 pm

Those look really yummy, but then again, most of your stuff does!

Just to let you know, I made the Carrot Cake Breakfast Cookies today, and they were FABULOUS. Not too sweet for breakfast but sweet enough so I want to eat them. I used 1/2 c. whole wheat flour and 1/2 c. all purpose flour and they turned out just fine for me!

bakingblonde August 12, 2008 at 6:54 pm

How do you keep doing this?? Each and every cookie you make I think to myself, that is THE next love of my life! Wow, so many to make, so little time. I so wish you would just send me some of your yummy goodies so I can try them without having to bake a thousand different batches of my own!! ha ha.

Natalie August 13, 2008 at 2:42 am

MM wow peanut butter cookies, I have such a craving for one of these now they look to die for!

Debbie G August 13, 2008 at 5:09 am

The cookies sound very good. I would end up eating a whole plate of them!!!!

Jennifer August 13, 2008 at 12:48 pm

Oooo those sound good. I will definitely make them. I have a pretty large jar of chipotle chili powder that I have been trying to use. It’s pretty darn spicy!

Randi August 13, 2008 at 7:13 pm

Btw, I hope you go to The Spice House, it rocks!! Oh and Spacca Napoli for pizza.

RecipeGirl August 13, 2008 at 8:50 pm

This sounds like a definite keeper. I’d like to give one to my 7 year old and watch to see his reaction!

Lisa August 14, 2008 at 6:25 am

Wow, sounds interesting. I bet they are really good!

Lindsey August 14, 2008 at 6:45 am

I don’t think we have chipotle in UK- can I use regular chilli powder or cayenne pepper- would I have to adjust the quantity?
thanks

Jennifer August 21, 2008 at 10:50 am

I made these a couple of days ago. Everyone in my family liked them. My co-workers did, too, and they were a nice change of pace. (And they held up well for day 2)

Julie August 27, 2008 at 9:21 am

Hi Anna!
I’ve been on vacation and loaded down with work, so I haven’t visited your blog in a while! I’ve missed some good stuff. I’m going to make these for Mike. I’ve wanted to use this particular PB cookie recipe anyway, and I love chipotle. I enjoyed your Chicago reports. I’ve never been, but sometimes we talk about moving there. I’ve never lived anywhere that wasn’t either on the east or west coast.