Red Wine Chocolate Bundt Cake

by on February 17, 2009 · 9 comments

Update: I’m keeping this recipe here for people to look at, but I’ve found a much better red wine cake.

This is a basic red wine cake modified from a recipe I found while looking for Red Wine Cakes.

Red Wine Cake

Red Wine Chocolate Bundt Cake

2 cups all-purpose flour (9 oz)
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 scant teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
3/4 cup unsweetened natural cocoa powder
8 oz unsalted butter, softened (2 sticks)
2 cups granulated sugar
1/4 cup vegetable oil
4 large eggs, room temperature
1/2 cup red wine
1/3 cup miniature semi-sweet chocolate chips
Powdered sugar for dusting (optional)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Spray a 10 inch Bundt pan with flour-added cooking spray.

Stir together flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and cocoa powder; set aside.

Beat butter and sugar together in a large mixing bowl, using high speed of electric mixer, until fluffy. Beat in oil, then add eggs one at a time, beating well.

Add flour mixture to butter mixture gradually, alternating with wine. Stir in chips.

Pour into the bundt pan and bake for 50-55 minutes. Note: I used a black Bundt pan. If you are using a heavy lighter colored Bundt pan, bake at 350.

Cool on cooling rack for 10 minutes. Flip from pan and let cool completely before serving.

Published on February 17, 2009

Carol A, February 17, 2009 at 9:53 pm

Red wine and chocolate – like music to my ears!

It’s always fun and rewarding to find a good, inexpensive wine – we love Old Moon Zinfandel from Trader Joes, only $4.99 a bottle – but you do end up with some clunkers in the hunt sometimes, don’t you? I’ve tasted wines that I could feel the headache in the first sip. Not a good sign.

Sounds like a yummy cake. I’ve never made a red wine chocolate cake, I may just have to try this one! Of course, that means I have to open a bottle of red wine – oh darn…

Elyse February 17, 2009 at 10:51 pm

Red wine, chocolate, and spices, yes please!! This cake sounds perfect. I’m sitting down to watch some television, and I would love a slice of this awesome-looking cake right now (I’d like this much more than any glass of wine)!

Kelly February 17, 2009 at 11:15 pm

That’s a great idea. Living alone I often have a cup or two leftover from bottles of wine so this is the perfect solution.

CookiePie February 18, 2009 at 5:49 am

What a great idea! Sounds delicious!

Anna February 18, 2009 at 7:06 am

Todd actually liked it so I guess it was a good use of bad wine.

dawn February 18, 2009 at 8:13 am

I was going to ask if you liked it and saw the above comment. I love trying new recipes with wine in them.

Lucy February 18, 2009 at 8:39 am

Yum! Sounds great, I’ll definetely have to make this. On another note, have you heard of the Vinturi? It is a wine aerator that is amazing! It can make bad wine taste decent and good wine great! You just hold it over your glass and pour your wine through it – very convenient, doesn’t require decanters, etc.. It runs around $35 online and it’s worth every penny, trust me! My husband & I do taste tests every time we open a bottle and we also always do it with company and all of us are amazed every time.

hulagirl247 February 18, 2009 at 10:09 am

hi anna!

hope you and the family had a lovely valentine’s day!

they say you should never cook with a wine that isn’t worth drinking on it’s own – the “theys” i have heard/read this from are quite numbered and people whom i often look to for foodie advice/recipes/inspiration. as i don’t personally consume enough wine to consider myself an enthusiast i cannot say that i speak from experience(i am a champagne kind of girl).

that being said – i know you can find some wonderful wines on the cheap – but i would never buy them without research – be it on line or with a wine specialist.

one of the best websites i have found for wine ratings (whereby i actually agree with most of their evaluations) is at wineenthusiast.com – here is the link for the buying guide where you can see the rating on almost any type of wine you could imagine :

glad you found a use for the wine.
i will try to do a search for things to do with bad wine – other than making jelly, vinegar or dumping it on a compost heap.

Ashley February 18, 2009 at 11:39 pm

This looks great! What’s better than combining two great ingredients like wine and chocolate?!