Golden Cinnamon-Pumpkin Bars

Today’s cookie is a really dense pumpkin bar. It’s probably more suited for Fall, but I like pumpkin year round and was in the mood for this type of thing yesterday. What’s great about these bars is that they are dense and moist rather than cakey. They’re like brownies, but pumpkin flavor. I used cinnamon chips, but chocolate chips would be great as well. This is adapted from the King Arthur Whole Grain Baking Book.

whole wheat pumpkin bars

Golden Cinnamon-Pumpkin Bars

6 oz unsalted butter (168 grams)
1 1/3 cups packed light or dark brown sugar (280 grams)
1 teaspoon vanilla (5 ml)
3/4 teaspoon baking powder (3 ml)
1/2 teaspoon salt (2 ml)
1 teaspoon cinnamon (3 ml)
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (see substitution)
1 egg
1 cup canned pumpkin (9.5 oz)
1 ½ cups whole wheat flour (170 grams) — (or weigh out 170 grams white whole wheat)
1 cup cinnamon chips (170 gram)
3/4 cups chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 13×9 inch metal pan with cooking spray or line with foil and spray foil.

Melt the butter in a microwave-safe bowl. Stir in the sugar. Return the bowl to microwave and heat for another 30 seconds or just until it starts to bubble. Let cool until it’s comfortable to touch, then stir in the baking powder, salt, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice and egg. When well mixed, stir in pumpkin. Add the flour, cinnamon chips and nuts or raisins and stir until mixed.

Pour into pan and bake for 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.

This makes 2 dozen 2 inch bars

This is a good sub for pumpkin pie spice, you can adjust the spices if you like = ¼ teaspoon cinnamon, ¼ teaspoon ginger, ¼ teaspoon cloves, ¼ allspice

Comments

1. Louise says

You make me laugh. One day you are using Cool Whip and pudding mix, which I think of as “Better Living through Chemistry”, and the next day it’s whole wheat flour. No more baking!! Go pack your bags. ;-)

those look fabulous! i’m a big fan of “year-round pumpkin,” too. avoiding the best-tasting baking flavor (IMHO) is like the old “don’t wear white after labor day” rule- obsolete!

3. eva says

These look yummy Anna! I’ll definitely try baking these, but I think a 1/2 batch for me. And perhaps cranberries and walnuts instead of the chocolate and pecans. I wish they could somehow get that “shiny brownie top”. Oh well, can’t ask for everything. :)

4. Janet says

Wow, those look sooo good! It’s raining and dreary here…a perfect day for baking. Thanks!

5. Karen says

I’ve been in a pumpkin mood, too! In fact, I made the pumpkin harvest loaf you posted a few months back(with the chocolate layer in the middle) last night and just had some for breakfast. I think I have enough pumpkin left to try this one.

6. Janet says

I just cut a small corner to taste….these bars are wonderful!!! I added 1/2 cup golden raisins in addition to the pecans. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

You read my mind — sort of. I was considering canned pumpkin to replace the banana in your banana chocolate chip bar recipe. Then I discovered the canned pumpkin I thought was in my pantry was gone. Back to the banana….but my husband ate the only one in the house as a snack. So no bars yet…..These look wonderful and I like that they are like brownies only in pumpkin form.

Hi Anna,
    What a GREAT recipe. I too have been in a pumpkin mood these day and I LOVE the idea of the whole wheat flour. The cinnamon chips sound like the perfect “spark”.

Thanks so much for sharing…

9. Natalie says

Oh yum these look sooo good. I am totally trying them. I love the cinnamon chips idea – maybe I’m crazy but I get tired of chocolate chips!

Oh boy…you tempt me so bad! I just made pumpkin panna cotta from freshly made puree. Now I want to go & get some more pumpkins & make this…great great post!

11. Dana says

These look amazing! I may have to try them later today. Don’t have any cinnamon chips lying around, so I may try white chocolate chips. But first I promised DH I would make a batch of homemade samoas bars for him to take to work tomorrow…

12. pumpkinpie says

Perfect timing! I just bought three 29 oz cans of pumpkin. I love to make pumpkin carrot cake for Easter, but I will have to try these bars too.

Sarah

14. krista says

yummy! these look so good! for sure gonna try them. you know what would be a great addition? cranberries! maybe i’ll try that…

Those bars look divine! Its diffiuclt to get tinned pumpkin here in the u.k. but I’m happy to make my own for these bars :0)

16. Eric says

This also tastes great if you mixed the cake and butter with the other ingredients (which I did by accident the first time I made it). It tastes like a great pumpkin cake and less like pumpkin pie with a topping.

17. Karen says

I finally made these today, using chocolate chips and walnuts. The batter seemed a little thin and the bars are not that high but they are delicious, mine baked for only 35 minutes. I’m a huge pumpkin chocolate fan and am happy to add this recipe to my repetoire!

These are awesome!! I used white flour, as I did not have whole wheat on hand. I also could not find the cinnamon chips, and used butterscotch ones instead. And, instead of nuts, I used 1/2 cup of golden flax seeds. Yum!!!

19. Lila says

These are great! I made them just like the recipe, with cinnamon chips an pecans. Raisins would be good, too.

20. K says

Hi, if I only have cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg, do you think that would be an acceptable substitute for pumpkin pie spice?

Hi Donna,
    You only need 170 grams of flour. You can use either whole wheat flour or white whole wheat flour. The reason I specified to weigh out the white whole wheat flour is because the volumes might differ slightly, whereas 170 grams is 170 grams. So if you’re going to use white whole wheat, it’s best to weigh out the flour if you have a scale.