Crunchy Oatmeal Blueberry Pecan Cookies

by on April 21, 2009 · 11 comments

Last month I renewed our membership to Costco. I’d been reluctant to re-join because we’re a family of three and we don’t save that much by buying in bulk. But I checked Costco’s travel deals, specifically the rental cars, and realized the membership fee would pay itself off by that alone. So I re-joined and once again, have the entertainment value of shopping at Costco. And it’s always fun, because you never know what you’ll find.

This past weekend Costco had giant bags of dried blueberries for $10.00. I don’t care much for dried blueberries, but it was such a good deal I bought the berries and used some in these cookies. They’ve got a great crunchy texture, but are on the sweet side so make sure you add the full cup of pecans to cut the sweetness. I think cutting the sugar itself might ruin the texture.

Oatmeal Blueberry Pecan Cookies

1/2 teaspoon (2 ml) salt
1/2 teaspoon (2 ml) baking soda
3/4 cups (100 grams) all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups (120 grams) oatmeal
1 cup pecans, chopped and toasted
1/2 cup dried blueberries

Preheat oven to 350 degree F. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.

Cream shortening and sugar in a mixing bowl. When light and fluffy, beat in the egg, lemon zest and vanilla. Add the salt and baking soda; stir until very well mixed, then stir in the flour, followed by the oatmeal, dried blueberries and pecans.

Shape dough into small balls and place on a parchment lined cookie sheet. Flatten slightly and bake 12-14 minutes or until golden.

Makes about 2 ½ dozen

**Revised.  The original recipe used 1/2 cup of brown sugar, but I thought the cookies were a bit too sweet.  I think they’d be better with 1/4 cup.

Published on April 21, 2009

beth April 21, 2009 at 10:49 am

Thanks for the rental car tip! We belong to Costco, but I’ve NEVER checked out the travel deals. These look yummy and I love the combination of oat and blueberry. By the way, I have the giant Craisin bag so I am also going to try out your Starbuck’s Cranberry bars.
Beth

Katrina April 21, 2009 at 11:05 am

Those look great! Nuff said.

Louise April 21, 2009 at 11:38 am

Take a look at this archive. I remembered it from when it appeared in the magazine. http://www.foodandwine.com/articles/the-costco-challenge

Pearl April 21, 2009 at 11:45 am

Oh i never knew about the rental car offers! My family belongs to Costco and we loooove to shop there.

Kerstin April 21, 2009 at 12:37 pm

We love Costco, especially when there are free samples! We always come home with extra stuff not on our list though, so it’s dangerous. I’m looking forward to seeing what you do with all those dried blueberries – the cookies look yummy!

Carole Resnick April 21, 2009 at 1:28 pm

We also love Cosco. I buy a large pack of hot dogs at the start of grilling season and they last almost all summer.

I have dried cranberries and dried cherries on hand so I will be making these as soon as we return from vacation on 05/10/09.

Emily April 21, 2009 at 2:03 pm

Ohhh yes.

Louise April 21, 2009 at 3:53 pm

I’ve always been reluctant to use dried blueberries. Looks like they work just fine. Thanks for posting this Anna.

I must go back and check out those “compost” cookies.

Elyse April 21, 2009 at 5:51 pm

Mmm, these cookies sound delicious, Anna. You know, ClifBar now makes a blueberry crumble flavor, and these cookies remind me of those bars (except that your cookies look much yummier, of course). I love the pecan chunks in these cookies, too! Way to take advantage of that costco membership!

Katrina April 21, 2009 at 7:04 pm

The puffy crispiness looks great (shortening!). I’m long over due for a trip to, well, we go to Sam’s Club. I’m out of pecans, too. Need to make the trek there and stock up!

DessertObsessed April 22, 2009 at 2:40 pm

These are so creative! And I love going to Costco for the samples :)