Curry Coconut Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

Fuzz is about to graduate from second grade, and I’ll be sorry to say goodbye to this particular class because I’ve come to know the kids’ parents and a few of them are into baking. One friend, Mary Ann, has a food blog called The Cookery and she’s the one who told me about this cookie.

We were at a swim party talking about food. I asked if she was going to the next food blogger potluck and she said no, but went on to tell me how fabulous the previous one had been and started listing various dishes. I stopped her at “Curry Cookies”.

coconut-curry-oatmeal-cookie

“Oh, they were just incredible, Anna. And the girl who made them is a chef!  I think her blog is called The Friendly Kitchen.”

By the time I got home I’d forgotten the name of the blog, so it wasn’t until Sunday’s potluck that I had the source of the recipe.   It’s from Rachel, an Austin food blogger who is a trained personal chef specializing in allergy friendly foods. Rachel’s version is vegan, but I didn’t have any of the vegan substitutes so I made a half batch using omnivore ingredients. As for the curry, there are lots of different types, and I happened to have red so that’s what I used. Rachel used yellow and says you can use just about any type as long as it doesn’t have garlic in it.

These were quite interesting and not in a bad way. You can make them with curry for a little something unusual, or leave it out and just have a darn good oatmeal-coconut-chocolate chip cookie.

Curry Coconut Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

4 oz unsalted butter (114 grams)
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar (120 grams)
1/4 cup brown sugar (50 grams)
1 large egg
1 tablespoon milk, soy or regular milk (15 ml)
1 tsp. vanilla extract (5 ml)
1/2 cup plus 6 tablespoons unbleached all purpose flour (110 grams)
1/2 tsp. baking soda (2 ml)
1 Tbs. curry powder (15 ml)
1/2 tsp. sea salt (if you’re using salted butter, skip this)
1 1/2 cups rolled oats (120 grams)
1 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut (40 grams)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Cream the butter and sugars with an electric mixer. Beat in the egg, milk and vanilla.

Whisk together the flour, baking soda, curry powder, and salt. Gradually stir the flour mixture into the egg mixture until they are almost fully mixed in. Add the oats, chocolate and coconut and stir until everything is full blended.

Shape dough into golf ball size balls and place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Let them cool for 1 minute on the baking sheet and then transfer them to a wire rack to finish cooling.

Makes about 1 ½ dozen

Comments

1. mj says

I’ve actually tried using curry powder in a savoury cookie recipe before. It was a potato chip cookie recipe with a little curry powder. Unfortunately, I’ve lost the recipe. It was from some old magazine.

Sounds good, MJ! I have a recipe here somewhere called Double Trouble cookies with potato chips in it. I wonder how it would taste with a little curry?

3. Alton says

That seems like an awful lot of curry. I have never used it in baking, but have made casseroles and never used more than 2 tsp.
    I would like to try the recipe – could I sub nuts for the coconut? My family doesnt like coconut.

Hi Alton,

I thought the same thing. But since Rachel is a chef and she’d already tested the full amount on people, I used the full amount and it didn’t taste overpowering. It did, however, taste like curry. So you might want to play with the amounts.

One thing you could do is make the dough, then just take out a little portion of it and throw in some curry.

This sounds so interesting — so sweet and savory. I like that! I’m so bummed I missed the pot luck. We are going in a million different directions, it’s MAY afterall. Hope to see you soon.

Gorgeous cookies. They remind me of when I bake with Chinese 5 spice (which is probably way too often). ;D

Thanks for referring to the vegan original — I wanted to know both.

That’s an interesting sounding cookie. The coconut and curry probably play well off of one another.
    The cookie in the photo looks like it’s suspended above the plate. How did you do that!?

Sue, believe it or not the cookies are just in a stack. This one cookie was kind of sticking to the one below it and it looks like it’s suspended in space.

I never tried curry in a cookie, or at least I don’t remember. But I do love curry with dark chocolate, it goes very well together. I’m now thinking of a dark chocolate cookie with curry ;)!

10. Beverly Mills says

Wow! This is such a great site! I love to bake cookies but I end up being the one to eat them all! Do you ever freeze your dough before baking or else freeze the leftovers?

Hi Beverly,

Thanks for stopping by Cookie Madness. I didn’t realize Desperation Dinners had a blog and website. Woo hoo!

To answer your question, yes! I hardly ever freeze cookies (though I do freeze brownies), but I often freeze dough and bake the cookies before an event.

I also make a lot of half batches.

I’ve never had curry in a cookie before – what a cool idea! I feel like I have had it in one of those fancy chocolates though.

13. Spica says

While making them I had my doubts ,because a lot of the recipes I found online were disappointing.
    I must say these exceeded my expectations. They also had a pretty color inside as a bonus. <3

14. Connie says

I made these for a potluck (Curry Night) and they were good. Many people at the potluck really liked them. I thoght they were o.k. Just a little odd flavor to me, but others really liked them.

15. Bev Erickson says

Oh my goodness! I do so love curry, and I’d heard of cookies made with it, but never imagined how amazing they would look and sound! On a lark, I decided to take a look and see what I found… And the very first link that caught my eye was this one. I stopped looking as soon as I read this page!

Awesome website. I have bookmarked it and will be exploring more when my schedule lets up after the weekend! :)