White Whole Wheat Flour Peanut Butter Cookies

Whole Wheat Peanut Butter with White Whole Wheat Flour

I’ve been on a peanut butter cookie kick this week and have tried a few new (and old) recipes. This is one of the old ones, but I made the recipe with white whole wheat flour and turbinado sugar. The end result was a darker than usual peanut butter cookie with a soft but tender texture and a very light wheat flavor. I shared these with people at our school and one of the bus drivers asked for the recipe.

white whole wheat flour

Whole Wheat Peanut Butter Cookies

2 sticks (228 grams) unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup (96 grams) turbinado sugar
1 1/2 cups (300 grams) packed dark brown sugar
1 1/2 cups (380 grams) crunchy peanut butter
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 cups (315 grams) white whole wheat flour, spoon and sweep if no scale

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.(180 C)

Beat butter in a large mixing bowl using a hand-held electric mixer, until it is creamy. Add both sugars and continue beating on high until creamy. Beat in the peanut butter, then beat in the eggs, vanilla, baking soda, and salt. Beat for about 30 seconds or until eggs are mixed in and baking soda & salt are well distributed. Add the white whole wheat flour and stir until mixed in.

Shape the dough into 1 inch balls and arrange on parchment lined cookie sheets spacing about 2 ½ inches apart. Using a damp fork, make criss-cross patterns.

Bake cookies one sheet at a time on center rack for 10-12 minutes or until cookies appear set.

Makes 4 dozen cookies

Comments

1. Jen says

Hurray! The BF adores all things PB, but eats so unhealthily for the most part that I hesitate to make him any baked treats. But this is a good “transition” treat. ;) Or um, a yummy treat for ME. Haha. Thank you for the recipe!

Those look great. I just made some PB cookies the other day, too, just working on the post for them as well. The ones I made have chocolate chips in them. You know what they say about great minds… ;)

MMMMMMMMMMM all you need is a glass of milk to wash those down!
    I am in love with PB cookies, they really are a temptation I can not say no to.

I love incorporating healthy stuff into cookies. I wish that White Lily would investigate a wheat flour.

5. C L (Rancher'sWife) says

Those cookies look delicious. I might have to make some of these to share at work. My coworkers are PB fanatics…OK, they devour anything resembling a cookie but PB is the cookie of first choice. It would be fun to see if they will eat something healthy without knowing it. ;)

I made something similiar and have yet to post it. But I think I used whole wheat pastry flour and was pleasantly surprised.

7. Linda says

Just made these earlier this afternoon – really like the texture as opposed to the “usual”. I used demerara sugar instead of turbinado, because it’s what I had; and also sprinkled some on the tops before flattening and baking.