White Chip Cherry Oatmeal Cookies

by on July 1, 2009 · 9 comments

Years ago, my next door neighbor Lacey bought feather boas, white gloves and plastic jewelry so she could play tea party with her nieces who visit every summer. This past week her sweet niece, Lauren came to town and she and Fuzz have become fast friends. Lacey’s threw the girls a tea party. As a contribution, I made a batch of these. They’re rich, but won’t soil the white gloves.

cherry-cookies

White Chip Cherry Oatmeal Cookies

1 stick (4 oz/114 grams) cool butter, cut up (I used cold butter)
1/2 cup (110 grams) golden brown sugar
1/2 cup (96 grams) granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon (5 ml) vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups (200 grams) unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon (2 ml) baking powder
1/2 teaspoon (2 ml) baking soda
1/2 teaspoon (2 ml) salt
3/4 cups old fashioned oats
1 cup white chocolate chips (or more!)
1/2 cup macadamia nuts – lightly salted
2/3 cup dried cherries, chopped

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Using high speed of a stand mixer paddle or a hand-held electric mixer, beat the butter until it is creamy and smooth. Beat in the brown sugar and granulated sugar and beat for a full 2 minutes. Add the egg and beat for about 30 seconds. Beat in the vanilla.

Mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir into the creamed mixture, followed by the oats, white chips, nuts and cherries. Shape dough into 1 inch balls and place on ungreased or parchment lined cookie sheets. Bake for 12-14 minutes or until cookies appear set – these don’t get very brown. Remove from sheet and cool on a rack.

Makes about 2 dozen cookies

Published on July 1, 2009

Lisa Ernst July 1, 2009 at 4:35 pm

These look good enough to maybe persuade me to try something besides chocolate chip….

Louise July 1, 2009 at 4:47 pm

What a great idea for a tea party. And I love that it included feather boas.

Sue July 1, 2009 at 8:25 pm

How nice of you to make these cookies for the tea party!

Rosie July 2, 2009 at 8:17 am

Oh tea parties how lovely for them – I still enjoy whenever possible afternoon tea :D Those cookies are just perect for this.

AJ July 2, 2009 at 10:58 am

YUM. I’ve been having a mini-love-affair with dried cherries this summer–they’re so rich. And anything with white chocolate has me hooked. Great recipe.

Cathy - wheresmydamnanswer July 2, 2009 at 1:21 pm

These look great what a wonderful combination!

Anj July 2, 2009 at 6:02 pm

These cookies look perfect for a tea party. Love the idea of the boas. How fun!

Janet July 3, 2009 at 6:54 am

I made these yesterday and they are wonderful. I did roll them in baker’s sugar before baking just because I do that to most cookies, but other than that I followed the recipe. I don’t usually like fruit and chocolate mixed together but this recipe just works! I even “splurged” on organic cherries and oats. Thanks for posting this one right before the 4th! The colors work great!

Anna July 3, 2009 at 3:11 pm

Janet, I’m glad you liked them. I liked them a lot too. The girls ate them, but didn’t go crazy for them because they didn’t love the dried cherries.

Glad the colors worked out well for the holidays.