Fat Tire Beer Bread

This recipe was the first thing that came up in a search for “beer bread”, but based on the results with the Fat Tire, I think the type beer you use really matters so I put Fat Tire in the name. You can use whatever beer you like, but with Fat Tire, I got a buttery, dark ale tasting loaf with a texture that was not quite as airy as a yeast bread, but not nearly as dense as a quick bread. And I think the texture would have been even better had I not completely screwed up and used a teaspoon of baking soda in place of powder. Oops. Despite not being high and light, my bread tastes pretty darn good. Still, I wouldn’t recommend doing it the way I did it unless you have something against baking powder.

Hopefully Todd will like this. He doesn’t care for quick bread, corn bread, or even Irish Soda Bread but he loves just about any chewy yeasty bread so this should be an interesting experiment.

Original recipe is here and my re-tooled version with less butter and some weights is below.

I don’t usually do prep shots but I felt this deserved a visual, mainly because the butter gets poured over the top which is sort of an interesting technique.

buttery mess

Here’s the bread.  Now I wonder how high it would have been with baking powder.

fat tire beer bread 2

Fat Tire Beer Bread

3 cups sifted all purpose flour (I used 12.15 oz)
1 tablespoon baking powder — or 1 teaspoon of baking soda if you’re an idiot like I am
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 (12 ounce) bottle beer – I used Fat Tire dark ale
5 tablespoons melted unsalted butter plus more for greasing dish

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Rub a 9×5 inch metal loaf pan with about a tablespoon of butter**.

Mix together the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Add the beer, stir until mixed (about 30 strokes), then dump mixture into the loaf pan. Pour melted butter over the top. Bake 1 hour, remove from pan and cool for at least 15 minutes.

**The original recipe used a full half cup of butter. I used 5 tablespoons plus extra for greasing the pan.

Comments

1. Janice says

Anna,
    Try it toasted with butter and sea salt…mmm
    I made this last week using this as a base:
    3 cups all-purpose flour
    1 Tablespoon granulated sugar
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 Tablespoon baking powder
    12 oz. beer (I used Bud Light~cuz that’s what we had)
    and added
    chevre,feta
    kalamata olives
    sun dried tomatoes
    coarsely ground pepper
    and I think I put in some Italian seasoning or herbes de Provence

so good!!! Also, it’s a keeper, long life when stored in the fridge
    Janice

p.s.
    I love Cookiemadness!!!

You’re using some of my favorite foods for ingredients this week. I love Toblerone, and I love Fat Tire beer. Do you have anything up your sleeve with a good Pinot Noir?

Janice, thanks for the recipe. Todd and Fuzz both liked the beer bread, so I’m looking forward to making again and will try the variations. I’m wondering if the dark ale would be too much with the add-ins, though. It really had a flavor of its own. Then again, it might be great.

Sue, good Pinot Noir goes in a wine glass! That’s one varietal you won’t find me cooking with because I haven’t found a cheap on (less that $14.00) that’s worth drinking. And if I spend more than $14 on wine, I won’t put it in a recipe. That is, unless I spent $14.00 on a wine that just happened to be kind of crappy on its own. I’d give it a second chance in a recipe.

You’re so right about the Pinot Noir!! I wouldn’t bake with a good wine either, but you’re so adventuresome, I thought just maybe……. :-)

5. Louise says

Pinot’s probably my husband’s favorite wine. We drink red wine every day and I’m sure we’ve found some tasty ones for under $14. I’ll have to see what they are.

Any good Pinot Noir recommendations? If you have a cheap one, even better!

There is one (relatively) inexpensive one that’s very popular where I shop. It’s called Fog Head and I believe it’s from Monterey.

Thanks for posting this – My brother owns a microbrewery here in NJ, Climax Brewing, and I’ve been meaning to try a beer bread recipe with his beer. Now that you’ve posted this, I know it is tried and true!

8. mary says

hi anna…thanks for the recipe!! i made it yesterday as a complement to our cookout. i used a wheat beer and couldn’t stop eating it. we are down to two pieces. i’ll post pics on my blog in the next day or two. thanks again!

tried this last night and it was fabulous! I used Budweiser, ’cause that’s what we had on hand, and I didn’t have any AP flour, so I used half white whole wheat and half bread flour. huge hit with both hubby and me–in fact we both ate two slices for breakfast this morning :) yum!

10. katherine says

I made this tonight to go with a soup dinner. It was fabulous! I used Sam Adams Octoberfest beer. I used a combo of AP four and whole wheat, and only about 3tbs of melted butter. Thanks for another winner recipe Anna!

Thank you for posting such a great recipe with pictures! I was looking for a beer bread recipe that used no yeast, and your post came up. It was soooo good and I used baking soda too. Even my fiancé and his friend liked it. I liked this recipe so much I reviewed it! If you get a chance, I’d love for you to take a look at my beer bread which I also took pictures of.