Fat Tire Beer Bread

by on August 13, 2009 · 19 comments

This recipe was the first thing that came up in a search for “beer bread”, but based on the results with the Fat Tire, I think the type beer you use really matters so I put Fat Tire in the name. You can use whatever beer you like, but with Fat Tire, I got a buttery, dark ale tasting loaf with a texture that was not quite as airy as a yeast bread, but not nearly as dense as a quick bread. And I think the texture would have been even better had I not completely screwed up and used a teaspoon of baking soda in place of powder. Oops. Despite not being high and light, my bread tastes pretty darn good. Still, I wouldn’t recommend doing it the way I did it unless you have something against baking powder.

Hopefully Todd will like this. He doesn’t care for quick bread, corn bread, or even Irish Soda Bread but he loves just about any chewy yeasty bread so this should be an interesting experiment.

Original recipe is here and my re-tooled version with less butter and some weights is below.

I don’t usually do prep shots but I felt this deserved a visual, mainly because the butter gets poured over the top which is sort of an interesting technique.

buttery mess

Here’s the bread.  Now I wonder how high it would have been with baking powder.

fat tire beer bread 2

Fat Tire Beer Bread

3 cups sifted all purpose flour (I used 12.15 oz)
1 tablespoon baking powder — or 1 teaspoon of baking soda if you’re an idiot like I am
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 (12 ounce) bottle beer – I used Fat Tire dark ale
5 tablespoons melted unsalted butter plus more for greasing dish

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Rub a 9×5 inch metal loaf pan with about a tablespoon of butter**.

Mix together the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Add the beer, stir until mixed (about 30 strokes), then dump mixture into the loaf pan. Pour melted butter over the top. Bake 1 hour, remove from pan and cool for at least 15 minutes.

**The original recipe used a full half cup of butter. I used 5 tablespoons plus extra for greasing the pan.

Published on August 13, 2009

Janice August 13, 2009 at 6:36 pm

Anna,
Try it toasted with butter and sea salt…mmm
I made this last week using this as a base:
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tablespoon granulated sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon baking powder
12 oz. beer (I used Bud Light~cuz that’s what we had)
and added
chevre,feta
kalamata olives
sun dried tomatoes
coarsely ground pepper
and I think I put in some Italian seasoning or herbes de Provence

so good!!! Also, it’s a keeper, long life when stored in the fridge
Janice

p.s.
I love Cookiemadness!!!

Sue August 13, 2009 at 7:29 pm

You’re using some of my favorite foods for ingredients this week. I love Toblerone, and I love Fat Tire beer. Do you have anything up your sleeve with a good Pinot Noir?

Anna August 13, 2009 at 7:40 pm

Janice, thanks for the recipe. Todd and Fuzz both liked the beer bread, so I’m looking forward to making again and will try the variations. I’m wondering if the dark ale would be too much with the add-ins, though. It really had a flavor of its own. Then again, it might be great.

Sue, good Pinot Noir goes in a wine glass! That’s one varietal you won’t find me cooking with because I haven’t found a cheap on (less that $14.00) that’s worth drinking. And if I spend more than $14 on wine, I won’t put it in a recipe. That is, unless I spent $14.00 on a wine that just happened to be kind of crappy on its own. I’d give it a second chance in a recipe.

lisaiscooking August 13, 2009 at 8:48 pm

This bread sounds great, and I’m a Fat Tire fan. I have to try this!

Lisa August 13, 2009 at 9:23 pm

I love beer bread!

Sue August 13, 2009 at 9:32 pm

You’re so right about the Pinot Noir!! I wouldn’t bake with a good wine either, but you’re so adventuresome, I thought just maybe……. :-)

Shelly (cookies and cups) August 14, 2009 at 5:44 am

Now this is something I will try….I am assuming too much beer bread you get a “fat tire” around your waist too!! ;)

Louise August 14, 2009 at 6:20 am

Pinot’s probably my husband’s favorite wine. We drink red wine every day and I’m sure we’ve found some tasty ones for under $14. I’ll have to see what they are.

Anna August 14, 2009 at 6:45 am

Any good Pinot Noir recommendations? If you have a cheap one, even better!

There is one (relatively) inexpensive one that’s very popular where I shop. It’s called Fog Head and I believe it’s from Monterey.

Katrina August 14, 2009 at 8:10 am

I’ve heard beer in bread is really good!

Nicole M. August 14, 2009 at 10:43 am

Thanks for posting this – My brother owns a microbrewery here in NJ, Climax Brewing, and I’ve been meaning to try a beer bread recipe with his beer. Now that you’ve posted this, I know it is tried and true!

mary August 15, 2009 at 8:14 am

hi anna…thanks for the recipe!! i made it yesterday as a complement to our cookout. i used a wheat beer and couldn’t stop eating it. we are down to two pieces. i’ll post pics on my blog in the next day or two. thanks again!

tory August 20, 2009 at 5:01 pm

Could this bread be done in glass instead of metal?Thanks!

Anna August 20, 2009 at 5:07 pm

Tory, I don’t see why not. You might have to adjust the time, though. Let us know how it works out!

Amy August 28, 2009 at 10:31 am

tried this last night and it was fabulous! I used Budweiser, ’cause that’s what we had on hand, and I didn’t have any AP flour, so I used half white whole wheat and half bread flour. huge hit with both hubby and me–in fact we both ate two slices for breakfast this morning :) yum!

Mrsblocko October 2, 2009 at 4:00 pm

I finally got around to making this bread. I wrote about it here:

Tory: Yes, you can make it in a glass pan! I did and it turned out great.

katherine October 20, 2009 at 7:43 pm

I made this tonight to go with a soup dinner. It was fabulous! I used Sam Adams Octoberfest beer. I used a combo of AP four and whole wheat, and only about 3tbs of melted butter. Thanks for another winner recipe Anna!

Brewing beer at home August 25, 2011 at 6:04 am

Thanks for sharing.I was looking for this.

Valia June 2, 2013 at 10:49 pm

Thank you for posting such a great recipe with pictures! I was looking for a beer bread recipe that used no yeast, and your post came up. It was soooo good and I used baking soda too. Even my fiancé and his friend liked it. I liked this recipe so much I reviewed it! If you get a chance, I’d love for you to take a look at my beer bread which I also took pictures of.