White Mountain Coconut Cupcakes

by on August 28, 2010 · 16 comments

Yeas ago I clipped some cupcake recipes from Chocolatier Magazine. Yesterday I was going through stuff and found this one, which was fortunate since I’d been craving coconut cupcakes all week and hadn’t settled on a recipe. I’d had my eye on Ina Garten’s, but decided to go with Chocolatier’s since it called for cake flour, included a 7-Minute Frosting recipe, and yielded only 12.

cupcakewithcherry

The cupcakes were great! They’re not heavy on coconut, and the coconut flavor that’s there comes from coconut milk and actual coconut rather than extract, which can sometimes be too strong.  The texture is very light thanks to the cake flour, and the 7-Minute Icing takes the cake from light to ethereal.    Cherries are optional, but if you can find them I recommend the kind with stems.

RECIPE HERE

Coconut Cupcake

Published on August 28, 2010

Lisa Ernst August 28, 2010 at 11:49 am

You are on a cupcake kick! Its fun to see the varieties you’re trying. This one looks beautiful and I’m always a fan of coconut. I think I’d go back to one of your other recipes and add chocolate ganache to the center of these cupcakes. Hard core, I know.

Erinsgobragh August 28, 2010 at 11:55 am

That looks so good! I love coconut!

krista August 28, 2010 at 1:18 pm

oooh yum!
for my kids’ birthday party bash two years ago i made coconut cupcakes with a coconut custard filling and a lime cream cheese frosting… possibly the best cupcakes i’ve ever had! let me know if you’d like the recipe! :)
krista

Pearl Lee August 28, 2010 at 1:29 pm

it’s so pretty! how does your family handle all of these delicious treats?

Louise August 28, 2010 at 2:21 pm

I love coconut cake and I’ll have to try these next time I get the urge. I generally use Ina Garten’s recipe except I use coconut milk (not lite) instead of buttermilk. I just looked at Ina’s recipe and the ingredients are pretty similar to this recipe but slightly different proportions, and Ina’s includes flaked coconut. This might call for a side by side taste test. :-)

Esther August 28, 2010 at 2:35 pm

Ohh I must make them some day for my dad! He loves coconut stuff. The cherry on the cupcake just finishes the look.

Betty @ scrambled hen fruit August 28, 2010 at 2:43 pm

Lovely cupcakes! This recipe does look delicious- I love the seven-minute frosting. Thanks!

Brenda August 28, 2010 at 2:45 pm

OMG. Coconut. My favourite…..

Katrina August 28, 2010 at 2:50 pm

Lisa beat me to it, you ARE on a cupcake kick. ;) Looks awesome.

Rina August 28, 2010 at 3:17 pm

Stunning!! I recently tried Ina Garten’s recipe and loved it. I agree with Louise, might be time for a side-by-side! I’ll let you know if I try it. :)

Jeanette August 28, 2010 at 3:22 pm

These look yummy! I just blogged about cute cupcake toppers and these would be the perfect cupcakes for them! Thanks for all the great recipes~

Jess @ Bakericious August 29, 2010 at 8:01 am

oh I love chocolate, this cupcake looks incredible with coconut flakes!

Lynette August 29, 2010 at 8:25 pm

Lovely! My parents love coconut creme pie and I’m not a big fan, but maybe they will like these and I can still enjoy them too cause it’s coconut! Thanks for the effort and idea!

Natalie (The Sweets Life) August 30, 2010 at 12:42 pm

These look delightful! I love coconut and don’t think I’ve tried a coconut cupcake ever!

Dee August 30, 2010 at 3:37 pm

The cupcake tower has arrived!! I was given the choice of round or square and I chose square…glad I did because it is AWESOME! You can also choose a ribbon color for the edges…I chose zebra for my 13 year old daughter!! Of course the ribbon can be changed to match any theme. Thank you SO much for this outstanding prize :-)
Dee