Reese’s-in-the-Middle Cookies

by on December 10, 2010 · 18 comments

After an action-packed trip to Hershey, PA, I’m back home in Austin sorting through pictures and trying to round up all the new recipes I brought home. The first one is from Chef Cher at the Hotel Hershey.

Reese's in the Middle Cookies

We watched Cher’s assistant pastry chef make this cookie one night after dinner. He used a stand mixer for the demo, but did you know that something like 80% of all home bakers use hand-held mixers? In the test kitchen, they make all their cookies with hand-helds to get the same results as an average home baker, but since this recipe is from the resort kitchen it was made with a stand mixer. It was also written in weights, but I went ahead and put the volume measures next to each ingredient.

Chef

This was one of my favorite recipes from the trip. The chocolate “shell” has a really good texture and flavor, but what makes the cookies special is that the filling has very finely chopped Reese’s pieces in it. Also, I apologize for not having a yield, but I couldn’t find it on the original recipe. I’m guessing you’ll get about 2 dozen.

Reese's in the Middle Cookie

Reese’s-in-the-Middle Cookies

6.25 oz all-purpose flour (1 1/3 cup)
1.5 oz Hershey’s cocoa (1/2 cup) – I think they used natural
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 ounces butter, unsalted, room temperature (1 stick)
3.5 oz granulated sugar (1/2 cup)
4 oz light brown sugar, packed tightly (1/2 cup)
2.4 oz Reese’s peanut butter (1/4 cup)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 large egg

Filling:
7 ounces Reese’ peanut butter (3/4 cup)
3 ounces confectioner’s sugar (around ¾ cup)
2 ounces Reese’s Pieces (about 1/3 cup)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

To make the dough: Whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; set aside. Cream the butter, both sugars and peanut butter until light and fluffy . Add the vanilla and egg, beating to combine. Blend in the dry ingredients.

To make the filling: Stir the peanut butter and confectioners’ sugar until smooth. Fold in the chopped Reeses’s Pieces. With floured hands, roll into 1 inch diameter balls.

To shape the cookies, break off about 1 tablespoon of chocolate dough, make an indentation with your finger, and place a peanut butter ball inside. Push the dough up and over the ball. Repeat with remaining dough and filling.

Dip the top of each cookie into extra sugar and flatten slightly. Bake 7 to 9 minutes.

Published on December 10, 2010

Stephanie December 10, 2010 at 9:13 am

Wow – this looks so yummy! I’m sure the Reeses adds a great suprise texture inside. p.s. did you get one of their signature ‘chocolate facials’ while you were at the hotel? :)

Leslie M. December 10, 2010 at 9:13 am

I was so there! These look delish and what a great picture! Great meeting you and what a great event!

XO
Leslie
Leslie Loves Veggies!

Anna December 10, 2010 at 9:22 am

Leslie, likewise! P.S. Hope your luggage made it home! I was so happy to look down from the escalator at Austin Airport and see my bag going around on the belt.

Stephanie, I chose the cocoa massage. It was great, but I think I would have liked the facial a lot too.

PlainChicken December 10, 2010 at 9:32 am

YUM! I love anything Reese’s!

the blissful baker December 10, 2010 at 10:13 am

what a delightful cookie! i love that there is a nice little surprise when you bite into it.

Maggie December 10, 2010 at 10:32 am

Yum! I was going to make the standard Reese’s in the middle, but now I’m switching gears!

Cupcake Activist December 10, 2010 at 11:22 am

So yummy! I’ve never tried a Reese’s in the middle of a cookie before.

Sue December 10, 2010 at 12:00 pm

These sound and look great. I’m curious about how the Reese’s pieces are chopped. I have visions of them popping all over the kitchen while chopping. My first thought is to put them in food processor.

Louise December 10, 2010 at 12:24 pm

I’ll be interested to know the shelf life when you make these cookies, but they may not hang around long enough to know. :-) Perhaps Ill try these at the end of my whirlwind Christmas baking.

Katrina December 10, 2010 at 2:48 pm

I just bought little mini Reese cups, I wonder if these would be good/fun as little mini size cookies.

Anna December 10, 2010 at 2:52 pm

Sue, I don’t know. I may try doing it in the food processor.

Louise, probably not very long. I’m not sure, though.

Katrina, the mini Reese’s are a new product and I’m sitting here eating some “straight up” right now. They’re awesome. Have you seen the Hershey’s drops? Those are good too. I’m going to write about them later.

Louise December 10, 2010 at 3:29 pm

We had the mini Reeses PB cups last year. Maybe we were a trial market? It seemed like they were seasonal and disappeared.

I am probably counted in the 80% using hand-held mixers. When I bake, I probably use it as often as my Kitchen-aid stand mixer.

Sue December 10, 2010 at 4:31 pm

Maybe it would work to put them in a heavy plastic bag and roll over them with a rolling pin? Worth a try, and a low mess!

Cheryl December 10, 2010 at 4:36 pm

That picture is amazing! I want some now!

Ryan December 10, 2010 at 6:28 pm

Yummmy! :) I’ll definitely have to make those soon.
I have a hand mixer, it’s got to be about as old as I am xD

Lee December 10, 2010 at 9:17 pm

I love my Kitchen Aid stand mixer, it have served me well in almost 20 years of using it at least once or twice a week, hubby loves the results, lol

Katrina December 11, 2010 at 12:05 pm

I saw the mini Reese’s and Hershey’s drops at the same time and they were all on sale, I bought a bag of each!
The cookies n cream ones don’t do well baked on something, FYI, they turned a funky burned brown color. I might try some on a piece of fudge. The Reese’s would be good in/on fudge, too!

danielle February 21, 2011 at 8:28 pm

wow! yummy!!!!! just made them-thank U!