Skillet Cookie

by on May 10, 2011 · 16 comments

Thanks for all the comments about HAL. I am enjoying reading them and keep checking for new ones, but I couldn’t let this day go by without posting a cookie.

Skillet Cookie

Here’s one we made over the weekend. And by “we” I mean Fuzz and her friend Josephine. I came downstairs to find the girls going through my cookbooks in search of something to make. Never mind I’d just made brownies, they wanted to do it themselves.

Cookie Baked in a Skillet

One of Fuzz’s favorite books is “Delicious Desserts” by Barbara Beery. Barbara not only writes kids’ cookbooks, she’s the founder of “Batter-Up Kids” Cooking School and knows just what types of recipes kids like. This recipe was perfect for two self-reliant 9 year old girls (though I did swoop in and insist they weigh everything) and makes a very tasty, easy-to-cut and serve cookie. They did make some major changes, though, so I put them in the notes at the bottom of the recipe.

Skillet Cookie

1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1 cup (8 oz) butter (salted or unsalted would work)
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 cups (11.25 oz) all purpose flour
2 cups chocolate chips (the girls used butterscotch chips)

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a 10 inch oven-proof skillet. If you don’t have a 10 inch skillet.

In a large mixing bowl, beat the sugars and butter until blended. Beat in the vanilla and the eggs. Reduce speed to low and beat in the baking soda and salt, then add the flour and mix using lowest speed of the mixer. Stir in the chips.

Pour the batter in the skillet and bake on center rack for about 30 minutes. Let cool for 15 minutes, then slice.

Makes 16 slices

Notes: We were out of butter so the girls weighed out 8 oz of I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter spread (the kind in the tub) and it worked perfectly. The cookies had a firm exterior and a dense and soft interior. We also had very few chocolate chips, so the girls used butterscotch chips and about a handful of chocolate chips.

And finally, I don’t own a 10 inch skillet. We made the full batch, set aside about a cup of batter, then baked the cookie dough in a 9 inch springform pan.

Published on May 10, 2011

Amy @ What Jew Wanna Eat May 10, 2011 at 8:55 pm

Yum! These reminds me of the cookie cakes I ate way too often in college. I would love to add some frosting too!!

Tara May 10, 2011 at 9:43 pm

As I sit here with my evening cup of tea and an oatmeal raisin cookie already in my tummy, this skillet cookie is calling out to me. Kudos to Fuzz and friend for having the exact same baking cravings as I do! And Anna, thanks so much for including the “what to do if you don’t have a skillet”–that was my next question. Time to break out the springform pan…

Gloria May 10, 2011 at 11:32 pm

So much easier than forming cookies! I gave up on springform pans when mine leaked a few times. Could this be put into a well greased 9 inch round cake pan? Good to know ICBINB works-it has less fat and cholesterol…

LisAway May 11, 2011 at 1:27 am

Hooray for daughters who carry the I-have-to-bake gene!! :)

Fallon May 11, 2011 at 3:27 am

Looks super gooey!

bakingblonde May 11, 2011 at 6:24 am

Awesome! I have always wanted to bake cookies in a skillet. i tried it once in a ramikin and totally failed! over baked it by a TON! :(

Sue May 11, 2011 at 7:56 am

I love it that Fuzz and her friend made these on their own! They look tasty and I’m sure they’re proud of their work. I would be!

Anna May 11, 2011 at 8:16 am

Gloria, I think the 9 inch cake pan would be fine. You’ll have to set aside some of the batter since this was designed for a 10 inch pan, but I don’t see why a cake pan wouldn’t work.

I feel silly posting a skillet cookie that we didn’t actually bake in a skillet, but the cookies were so good I just had to.

CindyD May 11, 2011 at 11:06 am

How high did it rise? Could you bake it in a ten inch deep dish pie plate?

Linda May 11, 2011 at 2:54 pm

This reminds me of a cookie my girls made years ago. We called it “big cookie”. I’ll bet this could go into an 8 by 8 square pan too. Thanks for the recipe!!

Sara May 12, 2011 at 12:23 pm

I am making this to be cookie cake for my husband’s coworker….can I make it today and then have him wait to slice it until tomorrow?

Anna May 12, 2011 at 12:36 pm

Sara, it should be great on day 2.

Cindy, I forgot to answer your question yesterday. Sorry. I think it rose about 1 1/2 inches then sank a little. Since I was using a high sided springform pan, I wasn’t too concerned with how high it would rise. A 10 inch deep dish pie plate would probably work. If the sides slope quite a bit, you might want to leave out about 1/2 cup of the batter and use it for something else.

What’s funny is I don’t own a 10 inch anything! All my round pans and skillets are 6, 9 or 12 inches in diameter.

d May 12, 2011 at 7:36 pm

I made this recipe today using a 10″ cake pan and baked 25 minutes in my oven. The top was dark golden brown and when cooled, the crispy outside and tender inside made for a heavenly treat!!! Thanks for posting. I’m going to try with macadamias and white chocolate chips as well.

Sara May 12, 2011 at 7:41 pm

Good to hear someone else’s came out dark brown, mine was done at 25 minutes too and looked a little too dark! I made it with chcocolate chips, PB chips, and mini PB cups. Yum!

Mackenzie@The Caramel Cookie May 13, 2011 at 6:36 am

Our college cafe served this with a big scoop of ice cream and a drizzle of chocolate syrup. It was called the buffalo cookie after our mascot. Yum!

Kristina Vanni May 16, 2011 at 8:18 pm

Fun! Neat idea to bake cookies in a skillet. Your cookie options are endless!