Today’s recipe calls for Hodgson Mill Graham Flour, a type of whole wheat flour in which the entire natural bran and germ are stone ground to preserve all of the grain’s natural nutrients. It’s a crispy and sweet cookie with butterscotch chips and lightly salted cashews to balance out the sweetness from the sugar. I liked it so much that I entered it in the Have a Great Grain Contest for bloggers, but I’ve also typed up the recipe for everyone who wants to try it before it wins the contest and sweeps the nation! Just kidding, but it was a pretty good cookie and I know a lot of you like cookies made with whole grains.
As part of the blogger competition, Hodgson Mill offered to give one reader a $25.00 gift certificate to their on-line store.
Just leave me a comment saying where you or your family get their whole grains. I’m going to keep this one short and sweet and will pick a winner tomorrow morning. DONE! Picked comment #2.
For a second chance at an even bigger Hodgson Mill prize, visit Hodgson Mill’s Have a Great Grain page.
Now here’s the recipe. If you try it, I’d really like to know what you think. I’ve made these cookies twice already for the family, but I haven’t shared them with anyone else and could use a second opinion. They’re thin, sweet and crunchy and some of them baked up with these really cool air bubbles similar to what you’d find in good brick oven pizza, but crispy and in a cookie. I baked them on a heavy duty, regular (not a non-stick) baking sheet. I also used salted cashews, but unsalted would be fine too. I made a third variation using chopped up leftover Heath bars, but the cashew butterscotch version was much, much better.
- 1 1/3 cups (6 oz) Hodgson Mill Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup light tasting olive oil (not extra virgin) or vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup butterscotch chips
- 3/4 cup unsalted or very lightly salted cashew pieces
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Have ready two ungreased baking sheets.
- Mix the flour, baking soda and salt together in a bowl and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl using a hand held electric mixer, beat the butter and both sugars until well mixed. Gradually add the oil and beat for another minute, scraping sides of bowl often. Add the egg and continue beating on high for about a minute, and then beat in the vanilla. With a large mixing spoon, gradually add the flour mixture and stir until incorporated. Stir in the butterscotch chips and cashews
- Scoop up dough in packed, level tablespoons and shape into balls. Arrange on ungreased baking sheets, spacing 2 ½ inches apart, and bake one sheet at a time for 10-12 minutes or until cookies start to brown and appear set. Remove from oven and let cool on baking sheets for about 5 minutes. Carefully transfer to a wire rack to cool. Let cookies cool completely before serving (they crisp as they cool).
- Makes about 28 cookies