Very Moist Carrot Cupcakes

by on February 26, 2012 · 9 comments

On Friday I posted an adapted version of the Allrecipes.com “Best Ever Carrot Cake”. I liked it because it was dark (more brown than orange), had lots of pineapple, and was dense and moist without being soggy. The additional step of roasting the shredded carrot before adding them to the batter made the carrots less detectable in the baked cake, and in the end, the cake reminded me of the cake served at Gibson’s in Chicago — my favorite carrot cake.

Carrot Cupcake with an Easter Chick

The next day I tried a new recipe adapted from Carol Bloom’s The Essential Baker, and posted by Zoe. It was quite different from the other — extremely moist, orange in color, and with carrots scattered throughout. I made the mistake of adding pineapple and even though I’d drained it, the cake was actually a bit too moist for my taste. Luckily, when I made it again without the pineapple it was perfect and made great cupcakes. I still like a denser, darker, crumblier cake, but for those interested in a seriously moist carrot cake that doesn’t need raisins or pineapple for moisture, I recommend the one from The Essential Baker, which I am now going to have to buy.

BTW, the little chick is one of the Easter items at Plastic Container City.

Very Moist Carrot Cake Cupcakes

1 pound baby carrots
4 large eggs (or extra large)
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
2/3 cup light brown sugar
1 1/4 cups vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/4 cups (10.1 ounces) all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 24 cupcake cups with paper liners.

Shred the baby carrots in the food processor, then put the carrots on a stack of paper towels and press down on them with more towels to remove as much moisture as you can. With a chef’s knife or the chopping blade of a food processor, chop the shredded carrots.

In a mixing bowl, stir together the eggs, both sugars, vanilla and oil.

In a separate bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon, then add to the batter and stir until incorporated. When flour mixture is incorporated, stir in the carrots.

Divide batter evenly between cups and bake on center rack for 25-30 minutes or until set (they’ll spring back when touched). Let cool for about 10 minutes in the pans, then remove from cupcake cups to cool completely. Frost with your favorite cream cheese icing.

Published on February 26, 2012

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust February 26, 2012 at 5:45 pm

So cute! I love carrot cake.

Gloria February 26, 2012 at 9:26 pm

How does this recipe compare in flavor to the Best Ever? Now I don’t know which one to make!!! I like pineapple and raisins, but easier might be better…

Louise February 27, 2012 at 4:57 am

Nice holder and baby chick! Is the top domed? I have “The Essential Baker” but haven’t made this cake as I have a 25 year love affair with Frog Commissary’s Carrot Cake. It was a great restaurant too. Bloom’s recipe actually includes 1 cup of dark raisins and 1 1/4 cups toasted chopped walnuts which she says can be replaced with 1 1/2 cups toasted coconut, but it looks like the cake does fine without either.

Anna February 27, 2012 at 6:52 am

Gloria, it’s a little more “vegetable” tasting (if that makes sense). You can really taste the carrots. I think what people really like about it is the soft, light, texture. Since there are 4 eggs, you might consider making a quarter batch just to see if you like them.

Louise, it’s domed. And yes, this cake is fine without any add-ins. The Best Ever cake really needs the add-ins to offset the dryer, denser, texture, but this one doesn’t. The nuts and coconut would be good, though.

Sue February 27, 2012 at 8:26 am

This is a great recipe for those times when you bake for people who don’t like “stuff” in their baked goods. You know… those people who don’t like raisins and nuts and stuff messing with the texture.

Mackenzie@The Caramel Cookie February 29, 2012 at 12:39 pm

My husband just brought home a 5 lb bag of carrots. I know what I’ll be making now!!

vanillasugarblog March 2, 2012 at 7:14 pm

i love a good carrot cake. And I adore it when the cream cheese frosting has a touch of saltiness to it. Shocker right? LOL

kalista July 20, 2013 at 12:01 am

Hi Anna. Thanx for linking me up p to this recipe. I was wondering how this recipe would hold up of I were to bake it as a cake instead of cupcakes? And if it’ll work as a cake do I adjust temperature to 325? Would the mixture yield a double layer cake?
Sorry for asking so many questions but seriously, I love your carrot cake recipe with such a light cakey texture. Can’t get many recipes like yours these days! :)

Anna July 20, 2013 at 7:17 am

Hi Kalista,
I don’t think I’ve ever baked this one as a regular carrot cake, so you’ll have to let me know. Or maybe I could buy some carrots and try making it today. This is a recipe that is easy to scale down, so if I make it I’ll probably cut it in half and make it in an 8 inch square metal pan.