Chocolate Brownie Cheesecake Ice Cream

After making a full batch of the William Greenberg recipe aka New York Brownies and wondering what the heck I was going to do with them, I decided to mix them into cheesecake flavored ice cream and make a copy cat of one of Fuzz’s favorite Ben & Jerry’s flavors.

chocolate brownie chunk cheesecake ice cream

For the base, I adapted a cheesecake ice cream recipe from my favorite ice cream book, The Ultimate Ice Cream Book: Over 500 Ice Creams, Sorbets, Granitas, Drinks, And More. And as mentioned, used the New York brownies which are very dense and sweet and hold together well in ice cream. As for the fudge sauce, I found a great fudge sauce recipe in the Gourmet cookbook. It works perfect as an ice cream mix in because it thickens on contact with the ice cream and becomes somewhat stretchy and borderline chewy and you don’t have to worry too much about it mixing with the vanilla (or cheesecake)base and turning it into chocolate. Here’s the recipe with links to the other two components.

Or you could just make the brownies. The New York/Greenberg recipe is an old one, but when I cut into them I remembered why it’s so timeless. I also remembered that it’s best if you make it with really good or at least above average brownies.

Brownie Chunk Cheesecake Ice Cream

1 cup sugar
4 ounces softened cream cheese
1 large egg
3/4 cup whole milk
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
3/4 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or vanilla
1 cup brownie chunks, frozen
2 tablespoons (more or less) of chocolate fudge sauce

In a mixing bowl, beat together sugar, cream cheese and egg. Meanwhile, in a 3 quart saucepan, bring the milk to a gentle boil. Immediately whisk boiling milk into the cream cheese mixture, whisking constantly, then add the mixture back to the saucepan. Adjust heat to low or medium low and stir mixture (be careful not to let it boil) until it begins to thicken – it won’t be as thick as pudding at this point. Remove from the heat and strain into a clean bowl. Let cool for about 20 minutes, then stir in vanilla extract and heavy cream. Chill the mixture for four hours or until very cold.
Use your ice cream maker as per manufacturers directions. When ice cream is almost ready, add the frozen brownie chunks. Spoon big gobs of ice cream from the ice cream freezer into a storage container, and as you transfer it to the container, add swirl in spoonfuls of chocolate fudge sauce. Makes about 6 cups.

Comments

1. Darlene says

After reading today’s recipe, I have only one question for you. Will you adopt me? Please?

2. Martha in KS says

OMG – I think Fuzz needs a new aunt – me! This looks scrumptiuous! (Isn’t it ironic that I can spell “supercalifragilisticexpialidocious” but had to look up “scrumptious”? Enjoy your weekend. It’s gorgeous in KC.

Anna, that looks AMAZING! Magazine cover-worthy! I missed that brownie recipe when you first posted it, and now I’ll have to try it.

I haven’t had that B&J flavor in many years, but I remember it always took forever for the brownie to defrost in the middle. With some pints it was like a single, enormous brownie frozen in the midst of the ice cream. This looks better because the brownies are in smaller bites.

4. Paula B. says

I wish I lived at your house, I think this recipe hits the trifecta of all my favorites: ice cream, cheesecake, and brownies. What a great idea, and I’ll have to try the hot fudge recipe – I’m on a personal quest for the best recipe!!!! Guess I have a few recipes to try from this post.

Thanks for the compliments on the photo. The ice cream was pretty good, but now I think I want to try it with homemade vanilla ice cream. Also, the fudge sauce I linked to works really well so I recommend using that in just about any flavor.

6. Jennifer says

I had a few leftover outrageous oreo brownies left and was going to make this. Got out the ingredients to come to room-temp. Realized my freezer bowl was not in the freezer. By the time the bowl was frozen, someone had consumed the brownies! So today I am started all over.

7. Joan says

Great recipe but it was a little too sweet for my taste. Next time I will cut back on the sugar.