I came up with the recipe while going through a “baking with chai tea” phase, but got so tired of the chai flavor I just sort of abandoned the recipe. But not before giving it to a friend. she made the Chai Tea Truffles for a party and said they received great reviews. Hooray!
This recipe is very flexible. Substitute the chai tea for a different flavor. Use semisweet chocolate instead of white. Use chopped chocolate instead of the chips for even richer, smoother truffles.
Chocolate Chai Tea Truffles
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1 chai tea bag regular or decaf
- 2 cups 12 oz white morsels
- 2 cups 12 oz semisweet chocolate morsels or 12 oz semi-sweet or dark chocolate
- 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- Place cream in a microwave-safe glass measuring cup. Microwave 1 minute or just to boiling. Submerge tea bag in cream. With back of spoon, press tea bag firmly against sides of the cup to release flavor. Steep for 10 minutes, pressing bag halfway through and before removing.
- Place white morsels in a medium microwave-safe bowl. Pour chai flavored cream over white morsels and place bowl in microwave. Microwave on high for 30 seconds, then stir. Repeat until smooth.
- Place melted chai morsel mixture in refrigerator and chill until mixture is thick enough to scoop.
- Using a spoon, scoop chai mixture out of the bowl and form into marble size balls -- you can make them whatever size you like. Set the little chai balls on a plate covered with waxed paper. Place in freezer for 30 minutes.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate morsels and vegetable shortening on high for 1 1/2 minutes, stopping every 30 seconds to stir. Stir and microwave for one minute more, stirring halfway through. Dip frozen chai balls in melted chocolate and refrigerate until chocolate sets.