Bonnie Donaldson’s Ranger Cookies is an old recipe from Gourmet. It originally appeared in their Letters to Gourmet section. What’s interesting about Bonnie’s Rangers is they are made with Special K rather than Rice Krispies. At least I though that was interesting 15 years ago when I found this recipe.
Bonnie Donaldson’s Rangers
Special K makes these Rangers unique.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour 270 grams
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup vegetable shortening 190 grams
- 1 cup granulated sugar 200 grams
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar 200 grams
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups quick-cooking rolled oats
- 2 cups Special K cereal
- 12 ounce bag milk-chocolate chips
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Sift or just thoroughly stir together flour, baking soda and powder, and salt.
- With an electric mixer, beat together shortening, sugars, eggs, and vanilla until light and fluffy.
- Add the flour mixture and stir until blended, then stir in oats, cereal, chips, and coconut.
- Drop rounded tablespoons of batter 2 1/2 inches apart on parchment lined baking sheets.
- Bake cookies, 1 sheet at a time, in middle of oven until golden brown, 15 to 18 minutes. Cool cookies on sheets 1 minute, then transfer to a rack to cool completely.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
This is a test.