No-Fail Chocolate Chippers is a recipe adapted Bon Appetit. The version below is a half batch, and if you are familiar with the usual ratios of oatmeal and chocolate chip cookies, you can see that these have a smaller proportion of butter. The dough is dryer, but the cookies are actually really good and have a pleasant texture. To keep the dough from being too dry, measure the flour with a light hand or weigh it.
No-Fail Oatmeal Chocolate Chippers
- 1 cup old fashioned rolled oats 80 grams
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all purpose flour 100 grams
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup 4 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup packed golden brown sugar (110 grams)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar 50 grams
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted walnuts
- 4 oz milk chocolate chopped into chunks
- 3 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Grind oats in processor. Add flour, baking soda and salt and pulse to mix.
- Cream butter and both sugars in a medium bowl. Beat in egg and vanilla. Add flour mixture and stir until blended. Stir in walnuts and both types of chocolate.
- Using about 2 tablespoons of dough, form dough into balls and place on ungreased baking sheet. Flatten slightly. Bake until edges are golden brown, about 12 minutes. Cool on sheets 5 minutes. Transfer to racks; cool completely.
- Makes about 15 cookies